Sign in to follow this  

Pre Race Day Practices...

You mean like practice sessions on the track the day prior to the race? Well, it's good if your local race has alot of riders, making for lots-o-motos and really long days. However, most racers are on a time budget, and cannot take two days for a local race.

Well, I don't race on the dirt currently but I can give you a roadracers perspective. The races I attend (CCS & WERA) are generally 2 days of racing (sometimes 3) on Saturday & Sunday. Friday is generally an open practice day (unless it is a race day then it would be Thursday) which usually runs concurrently with a track day for non racers. I try and make it to the practice day on Friday if at all possible, as do about half of the other racers. The practice days are crucial to success for the weekend, there is no replacement for seat time when it comes to racing. If nothing else showing up on Friday assures you of a good pit spot and allows you to get registered and through tech inspection ahead of the crowds so that on Saturday all you have to do is practice and race. :cry: Some WERA races (cyclejam) are 4 day events of actual racing. :cry:

Pre race practice days also put a larger work load on the MX track workers, as in keeping the track maintained and watered, as well as garbage disposal, etc.

you wanta my opinion you getta my opinion-

I think that like every other aspect of motorcycle racing these days it is essentially a contest of $$$. Those who can afford the new bike and all the goodies and have time to practice practice practice are going to win more races. While i believe that skill is obviously something that money cannot buy, money can make you improve faster. By having practice the day befor the race you are giving a huge advantage to those who can take that friday off work, pay the exorbitant track fee, and all the miscelaneous costs of riding a motorcycle.

What ever happened to the riders showing up for the race, getting in few practice laps to get to know any changes in track layout and having to learn quickly how to safely negotiate them? I believe that there are too many riders out there who do not have the requisite skills but try to make up for that by throwing lots of money into their bike, practicing, their rig and trailer and of course the newest FRESHEST gear.

Anyone remember when the rules stated that you must wear a helmet to race and that was exactly what they meant? you would see privateers taking podiuum finishes while holding a football helmet!!! These riders had the talent to take that finish, but ussually not enough money to fill the gas tank for the drive home.

Michael Candra

AMA District 38 #11

ME YEAH I LOVE OFF ROAD RACING!!!

i race so-cali dezert races at least once a month!!!!

no pre running, no fashion show, no trophy girl(actually that is the one thing i would change!!!) just the feeling of knowing you FINISHED the race and having a buddy hand you a cold beer as soon as you peel off your gear!!

That is real racing :cry:

If you race Harescrambles, no one rides the course before the race. Everyone is on level ground. It helps to ride elswhere the day before but thats up to each individual rider.