Sign in to follow this  

Low budget parts cleaner

I have a small garage that seems to be alwasys filled with stuff (I dont need).

Anyway, I want to make something i can clean parts in. I like the sink type things with the parts cleaner you pump thorugh them.

Has anybody made a table top version of something like this? I just want to be able to pump a slow stream of clean parts cleaner in a tub withsome kind of drain...

I own that parts washer, it works great and I have not had any problems with it,,

it is more than big enough to handle anything i need to do with any of the bikes or my other vehicles... :cry:

when I am done cleaning some nasty parts, i usually take some cheese cloth and a large funnel,

a 5 gallon paint bucket with a lid that i have a hole cut in the top for the funnel and strain the big stuff out, rinse the washer and refill...

most auto parts stores sell the solvent, but harbor freight sells the stuff also,

once it is to nasty for this, i turn it in to one of the local auto shops, they just put it with their nasty stuff for pick up...

no problem.

some helpfull tools for the washer are

GOOD heavy duty rubber gloves,, (use them now matter how long you will be washing parts)

a full face shield,

a apron, (rubber prefferably)

a fine screen vegetable screener (from the dollar store)

wire brushes (toothbrush type)

old soft toothbrushes

(keep the basket that comes in the gallon can of solvent)

a good magnet you can hang on the side (for fishing stuff out of the bottom)

and a rag you can leave in the tank for wiping down parts

Chem

a full face shield,

That reminds me. Once at school in auto shop. I was opening a container of carburater cleaner in a 5 gallon bucket. Well some idiot put 25 feet of a tape measure in there. When I opened the top the tape measure exploded out and got some of the cleaner in my eye. That is some of the worst burning sensation you will ever feel.

Safety first!

That unit looks perfect... I didnt even bother looking figureing they would be much more cash than that.

Im getting one. I have a 10 quart plastic drain pan with a sealable lid that I dump old oil and anything else I want to get rid of in. I take it behind Walmart and dump it into their wast tank for disposal.

I was trying to clean some parts off in a small bucket, getting more grime all over everything, never really getting them perfectly clean. What a pain...

$39, Im sold!

THANKS!