House Bill 1003

Looks like it did make it. That is, if I'm reading the WA web site correctly?!?!

It does look like they passed it. I hope I'm not misunderstanding this.

ktmchick, not all rangers are that insensative. I have actually been told by a ranger when I was lost and got on the roads that I did the right thing. He said it was much more expensive to have to go out and find someone who is lost in the forest. He felt our safety was more important than the letter of the law. ?

It looks like step 2 (from http://www.leg.wa.gov/wsladm/billinfo1/bills.cfm#) has passed. It still has to be passed on the open floor and then make it through the Senate. Ain't government grand?

How a Bill Becomes a Law

1. A bill may be introduced in either the Senate or House of Representatives by a member.

2. It is referred to a committee for a hearing. The committee studies the bill and may hold public hearings on it. It can then pass, reject or take no action on the bill.

3. The committee report on the passed bill is read in open session of the House or Senate, and the bill is then referred to the Rules Committee.

4. The Rules Committee can either place the bill on the second reading of the calendar for debate before the entire body, or take no action.

5. At the second reading, a bill is subject to debate and amendment before being placed on the third reading calendar for final passage.

6. After passing one house, the bill goes through the same procedure in the other house.

7. If amendments are made, the other house must approve the changes.

8. When the bill is accepted in both houses, it is signed by the respective leaders and sent to the governor.

9. The governor signs the bill into law or may veto all or part of it. If the governor fails to act on the bill, it may become law without a signature.

-Jeff

"I'm just a lonely Bill, sitting here on Capital Hill" - Schoolhouse Rock! ?

It looks like step 2 (from http://www.leg.wa.gov/wsladm/billinfo1/bills.cfm#) has passed. It still has to be passed on the open floor and then make it through the Senate. Ain't government grand?

How a Bill Becomes a Law

1. A bill may be introduced in either the Senate or House of Representatives by a member.

2. It is referred to a committee for a hearing. The committee studies the bill and may hold public hearings on it. It can then pass, reject or take no action on the bill.

3. The committee report on the passed bill is read in open session of the House or Senate, and the bill is then referred to the Rules Committee.

4. The Rules Committee can either place the bill on the second reading of the calendar for debate before the entire body, or take no action.

5. At the second reading, a bill is subject to debate and amendment before being placed on the third reading calendar for final passage.

6. After passing one house, the bill goes through the same procedure in the other house.

7. If amendments are made, the other house must approve the changes.

8. When the bill is accepted in both houses, it is signed by the respective leaders and sent to the governor.

9. The governor signs the bill into law or may veto all or part of it. If the governor fails to act on the bill, it may become law without a signature.

-Jeff