Sign in to follow this  

Toyhauler

I am in the market for a Toyhauler, and would like some opinions on quality and durability.

I think I have the choice narrowed down to 3 models.

The Thor Tahoe 24' front sleeper

The Weekend Warrior, 23' front sleeper

And the Attitude 23' front sleeper.

Any one have any horror stories on any of these models, or just some opinion on them. Maybe a recommendation of another model or brand.

I will towing with a Dodge 1500 rated at 7800lbs.

Thanks I will check them out. This is a huge purchase for me and I am kind of nervous. I would hate to have such an item self destruct in a year or 2.

Cheff,

i understand completely,

the site and it's members do't really pull any punches, kinds like TT :cry:

i purchased a 25 ft Travel Trailer in Apr of 04, and was very nervous, this site definatly helped with some much needed answers,

just make sure you have some good load rated tires,

your engine and gear ratio are good

and most importantly,, yuo do not exceed the Combined gross weight for your truck and trailer... (this can get ugly fast)

i am sure the dealer will tell you all about weight distribution hitches and sway bars,,this will also help ease the nerves adn save your vehicle.

feel free to PM me with any other questions..

and good luck...

Chem

I am towing with a Dodge 1500 as well and just purchased a Carson Fun Runner FD202. I found that there were 5 others at the track this past weekend and everyone was very happy. My parents had a Thor tag trailer previously and actually like the layout and features of my Carson better. Acording the stats on the websites, the Carson is also a bit lighter. www.carsontrailers.com

I have a carson utility trailer I use now to tow the bikes. I never knew they made toyhaulers. Thanks for the tip I will take a look at them.

I have a Carson as well and we love it. My brother-in-law has had a few problems with it. The biggest being the water tank that was sagging and slamming the axle. They kind of jimmy rig fixed it for him.

RV.net is great... The truck is rated at 7800lbs? What is the estimated loaded wieght of the trailer? I know that the listed dry weights are somtimes very wrong. My brotherin-laws is the 24' and he got rid of his 1500 and got a Duramax because it was struggling bad. He has 4 people and a 12 year old, 3 quads and 2 bikes he was loading in it and said it was really bad towing.

After reading Chemfrk post, I went searching for actual towing capacities. My truck is actually rated at 7100lbs, with a max weight of 12,300lbs.

The trailers say dry between 5k and 7k, with GVWR of 7500 for the Attitude, and 10k for the other 2.

I think I am going to have to go with a bit smaller trailer that does not have the front sleeper. We are only 3, my wife is 98lbs and my daughter 50lbs so they are not an issue. 3 bikes the 650L, an xr70, and 100.

The truck can handle the 7k, but if it’s close to 9k by the time you load up water, gas, bikes and necessities I think I will need a smaller trailer or bigger truck.

MAN! I really wanted the front sleeper! :cry:

I could always get it and then tell the wife we need a new Cummins 600 :cry:

I have a 26ft Eclipse Attitude front sleeper and totally dig it!!! I am pulling it with my new Dodge 2500 HD CTD Quad cab, yeah baby!! I recommend the Eclipse,it is functional, well designed and built well. Best of luck to you.

we have been happy with our ww fs2300 :cry:

its under 8,000 lbs loaded :cry:

jeff :cry:

MAN! I really wanted the front sleeper!

I could always get it and then tell the wife we need a new Cummins 600

Today 04:24 PM

Now you're thinking, :cry::cry::cry:

seriously, look around, there are some nice toy haulers or utility haulers out there,

make sure you lookat the LITE models,

some toy haulers/travel trailers are metal frame others aluminum,

don't get discouraged, just remember, this is supposed to be fun, pick the best set up for your needs and your towing capabilities,

the fun get's lost quickly when you are being pushed down a steep grade, blown all over the road or being passed by an old woman in a wheel chair while climbing a hill...it really makes for a LONG trip...

believe me, if you do this right, get into it, have a lot of fun, you will be ready to upgrade your rig in no time at all,

if you get in over your head, you can get overwhelmed quickly, and then end up dreading the whole thing...

have fun, that's what it is all about...

Chem

Well if you decide to upgrade your truck and are looking at front sleepers, look at the Sandpiper 23. Pretty much identical setup to the Attitiude. I also looked at the Altititude and Warrior. I didn't like the the Altitiude because it seemed cheaper and had weird little glitches. I also like the Onan 4.0, Dometic fridge, and the TV setup that the Sandpaper comes with. Warriors were all right, but hated the sales approach, so forget em. But I wouldn't get one with the dodge you have.

For your information: In California if you tow a travel trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) which is not used for hire.

a fifth-wheel travel trailer weighting over 15,000 lbs. GVWR which is not used for hire. You need a noncommercial Class A drivers licence.

I have owned the Thor Tahoe Transport 36 footer. I have used it quite a bit and I'm very happy with it. Its a learning exper owning an RV. You just dont use it and expect everything to be fine. There are always small minor things happening you have to fix. It helps to be handy. This seems to be the exper with most the people I talk too. There are alot of help books out on the market to help you avoid common mistakes. Good luck and have fun

This is our little baby toy hauler. Carson Titan 16FL. Sleeps 3, has a 2 burner stove, small refridgerator, sink, shower, toilet, queen bed, small table and fold dond twin bed, heat and hot running water. Not to sound cheap, but this was the least expensive unit we could find that fits in our Exploreres capicty. Just the basics...

Shot 1

Shot 2

Their 18 and 20 foot units are really nice and priced right.

we have a Rampage Way Lite and haul it everywhere with our Chevy Duramax, 1/2 ton i think? but i tows awsome, ours is like a 24 footer and has both a front sleeper and a slid down rear sleeper, both full sized beds. It is made by Aljo, good quality trailor, and the cheapest one we found :cry:

I am in the market for a Toyhauler, and would like some opinions on quality and durability.

I think I have the choice narrowed down to 3 models.

The Thor Tahoe 24' front sleeper

The Weekend Warrior, 23' front sleeper

And the Attitude 23' front sleeper.

Any one have any horror stories on any of these models, or just some opinion on them. Maybe a recommendation of another model or brand.

I will towing with a Dodge 1500 rated at 7800lbs.

Hey cheff, I am in the market for a TH also. Came very close to buying an Attitude 23FSAK at Best RV in Manteca. Reading posts on rv.net made me change my mind. Lots of problems with the Attitude. Main one is they under report their weight. Sometimes by as much as 2000 lbs.

Have given this much thought and for me the front sleeper is a must.

My short list at this time is, Sierra West by Forest River T23FBSP,

RAMPAGE MODEL 240 - WAY-LITE TRAVEL, and Thor 24WTB TT.

I want to stay as short and light as I can and still get a front sleeper.

Good luck, and just in case no one mentioned it RV.NET!