Sign in to follow this  

Valve Shim Kit...

Where is the best place to buy a valve shim kit? I found the Hot Cam kit for $47 at Dennis Kirk, anyone know if i can get it thru the TT store for cheaper?

Your best place for the kit is the TT store and they'll beat other prices with their low price guarantee. They sell both the 7.48mm & 9.48mm kits. HotCams recently updated their 7.48mm kit from what I understand and the kit listed on TT has twice as many shims as the older 7.48mm kit sold through Dennis Kirk and other places, which is why there's a difference in price according to the guys at TT.

Here's the links...

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PU_0925-0011

*** Valve Shim Kit 9.48mm OD

Fits TRX450R, CRF450R, KFX400, KLX400, DRZ400, LTZ400, WR/YZ400/426/450, and YFZ450.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PU_0925-0010

*** Valve Shim Kit 7.48mm OD

Fits CRF250, KX250F, RMZ250, and WR/YZ250F.

Another option might be to contact a company like Aloma Shim & Manufacturing to see if they have shims that meet our specs or perhpas they'll make a shim kit for you / us. They may be willing to make a shim kit for our needs at a cost significantly less than what's currently available in kit form. Here's their link...

http://www.aloma.com/custom.aspx

The only problem with the hotcam shims they skip one size . For example the oem honda shims go down 170-168-165-162-etc and the hotcams go down like 170-165-160-etc.

Are you familiar with the conversion of mm to inches?

.XXXmm divided by 25.4 = inches

.025mm (average difference Hotcams doesn't have) is less than .0015"

Example,

1.60mm = .06299"

1.62mm = .06377"

1.65mm = .06496"

Not enough (IMO) to put any concern into, unless you're going for an EXACT clearance, and how long could that last ??

I got the 9.48 kit which contained 2 cases of shims for 60 some odd dollars from my local dealer.

I just bought some shims for my CRF450 from a dealer in Costa Mesa, CA and the price was $7.73 each for the intake side (honda shims) and $9.83 each for the exhaust(kawasaki shims). So if you considered the hot cams kit, then buy it. The factory prices will be more than you think, guaranteed.

That's not a bad price for shims. Around here (Western PA) the cheapest intake shims I found from a dealer so far is $11+. One other shop wanted $16 !! :)

(edit....)

I just found another dealer that has them for $9.50 ea.

Gettin' better !! still not as good as $7+

Anyone got any advice on grinding valves to the size needed?

FYI...I am a certified machinist, so it's not like I'll be takin' them to a bench grinder or belt sander or nothin' like that !!

Valve grinding machines have a provision for dressing the tips of valve stems but I doubt you could get away with taking any more off than a few thousanths. The keeper groove is close to the tip on CRF450 valves compared to valves in older engines. Also, valve tips are often hardened but I don't know if CRF450 valves are.

Hey, I got an idea!! Save your money and buy something reliable!

RIDE BLUE!!! Sorry, I had to do that. I have been reading some of these posts and it sure seams that the Yami is much more reliable than the CRF. :)

RIDE BLUE!!! Sorry, I had to do that. I have been reading some of these posts and it sure seams that the Yami is much more reliable than the CRF. :D

TROLL LMAO ............ GO BACK TO THE BLUE SIDE :thumbsup:

:):):p:D:D:D:o;):D:thumbsup:

How about a nice warm glass of shut the hell up. You're going to get dealt with for not keeping your opinion to yourself like Momma taught you. :)

RIDE BLUE!!!

That's what my buddy with a WR keeps tellin' me !!