Sign in to follow this  

'02 450...is it worth it?

I'm looking to upgrade from my '99 YZ400F...I found a near mint '02 CRF450 (10 hours total on the bike)...would it be worth $3200 to get the '02, or should I just spend the $4500 or so on an '04? I'm planning on racing the Vet Novice class this season.

if it really has low hours, get it. i have two 02's. one for scrambles, one for mx. ride it and check the valves, you will get plenty of time out of them, especially if you keep up on the maintenance. maybe down the road think about upgrading the chain tensioner if you ride pretty hard. i have a couple hundred on one of mine and just upgraded because it was apart, never had a problem. throw some 20 mm offset clamps on it and ride it...

I think for $3200... Nothing can go wrong... That bike works great!!

The only thing I would do is to upgrade to hinson clutch with the rubber bushing....

cheers

I paid $3600 for mine 4 months ago. Best bike I have ever owned. I have ridden the '04, and it did turn better; so I found 22mm clamps on ebay for $88, and had the suspension resprung and valved for my riding style (aggresive trail and desert), and run a 120/100 rear tire. Now it's very close. Since I am tall (6'3") a cockpit upgrade was very helpfull as well (Pro taper CR high, 5 mm farther bar clamps, IMS lower pegs, SDG tall seat.

Don't pass it up.

Is this in Idaho or Utah? Maybe I should go check it out for you first...just to make sure it's all legit :cry:

mx

Cheaper than the offest triple clamps, is the Storm Link. It'll correct the steering geometry for less money. I still have an '02 and have always loved it. The only reason I bought an 05 was out of curiosity, due to the articles on the new mods. With the steering corrected, the '02 is a great bike. You'll enjoy it. Good luck!

For $3200, I'd go for it. It will definitely be an improvement over that Yamaha thing you've been riding. I've added an FMF Ti4 exhaust, which gave it quite a bit more "thump".