Sign in to follow this  

Help needed for tall handlebars

I am trying to choose the best bend 7/8" bars for my 2003 WR450. I am 6'1", so I want to get taller bars than stock. Renthal has a "Motocross High"(Jimmy Button High) bar that is 110mm high. They also have an "Enduro High" that is 130 mm high. I think my stock bars are 92mm high. Does anyone have experience or a good feel for these tall bars? Are they tall enough to have a negative impact? For someone who's never replaced bars, there are sooooo many choices. :cry:

I am interested as well, Im 6'5 and these stock Renthals may be strong and cool looking, but they sure as hell don't fit me.

Most of the time im sitting down when Im riding, due to the fact that when I go to my standing/attack position It just feels wierd.(prolly looks wierd too, some 6'5 guy trying to stand up on his dirtbike with his hands below his knees.) :cry:

I went with Jimmy Button Renthals on my DRZ at the recommendation of the DRZ forum. Definitely taller than stock, but I have yet to take them off-road standing up. They felt good standing on the street for a few seconds.

I'm 6'2", btw.

Jim

I am 6'3'' and i have the Renthal fatbars in the RC high bend and when i stand and ride i am just barely bent over, like not at all. they are like 4.5'' tall too. But i wouldnt mind having something taller.

Bars are very subjective but I'm 6'3" and run CR HI ProTapers.

Also consider lowering the pegs which in a way raises the bars because you've lowered your body. I run Fastway Lowboys which move the pegs down 1/2" and back 1/2" in addition to being hugely W I D E. Almost like standing on a 2 x 4.

I am interested as well, Im 6'5 and these stock Renthals may be strong and cool looking, but they sure as hell don't fit me.

Most of the time im sitting down when Im riding, due to the fact that when I go to my standing/attack position It just feels wierd.(prolly looks wierd too, some 6'5 guy trying to stand up on his dirtbike with his hands below his knees.) :cry:

I use the Pro Taper Pastrana Freestyle bar.

6'5" here too and its a b*tch to stand up properly. Feel like I'm bent way over, totally awkward. Worse part is when sitting down, my legs are folded up like a pretzel. Trying to stand is hard, I have to use a bump, or kind of pull myself up by the bars until my legs unfold a bit. Its very tiring.

Then when standing I feel like I'm going to fall over the front wheel.

So far I have a tall seat, lowboy pegs and about 1" bar risers (actually my PT Enduro Scotts damper under bar mount). It helps alot, but I have to go higher. Next is installing the Pastrana FreeStyle bar, its got about 4.5" of rise I think. I had them on my 520 and they were a big improvement.

If that doesn't do it, I'm considering installing another 1" of bar rise, AND I'm going to do an experiment and build a spare seat that I bought, and raise it up another 1" or so HIGHER then the tall seat I have now.

My buddies already call my bike the chopper because of the tall bars, and its going to look really funny soon, but I don't care. I need to be comfortable, and I'm not there yet.

I got inspired when I read a bit in one of the dirt bike mags about some guy who like 6' 7" and they made some crazy tall seat for the guy. They had a pic of it, the seat was huge!

Also since I'm not used to standing when riding, I figure if I'm more upright, more neutral in my stance, it will make standing up a bit easiery. Once I get used to it, I figure I can experiment by lowering the bars a bit to see how it goes.

Anyway, I have some eperimenting to do this year and I'm psyched about it.

Ed