Sign in to follow this  

decompressor clearance help!

My bike has been very difficult to start. I had the valves and a top end done. The book says the decomp. clearance should be 014.in i could slide a .021 in. feeler gauge in there. I adjusted it as per the manual. Think this was my problem??????

i recall RHC telling me to set it up with .014" for TOTAL clearance.

Although, this is not what the manual recommends..... it seems to work great.

He said it still produces enough pressure to start. I can personally vouch for that

decompressor clearance is the gap of the right exhaust valve clearance (ex .011) plus .014 of an inch. So if your right exhaust valve clearance is .011 you decompressor clearance should be .025 of an inch.

When you say "difficult to start", does the bike kick over easily but won't fire, or is there a lot of resistance felt when kicking it over?

If you having a hard time kicking the bike over (really need to jump down on the kickstarter to turn the engine over), and you are sure you have the decomp. clearance set properly, then most likely your problem is the timing being off by a tooth. Been there, done that. Double check your timing just for kicks.

decompressor clearance is the gap of the right exhaust valve clearance (ex .011) plus .014 of an inch. So if your right exhaust valve clearance is .011 you decompressor clearance should be .025 of an inch.

The easy way is to have 2 feeler gages. Leave the one in the exhaust valve so it holds the clearance, then just adjust the decompressor to .014"

...that way you don't accidentally push the exhaust clearance down when checking the decompressor....