Chains and sprockets-which are the best?

As the chain broke at the link clip on me at the weekend on my 525 plus breaking off 10 teeth from the rear sprocket ? I thought i would start a thread on who uses what makes and types of chain and sprockets.

Money being no object for the strongest and best wearing.

I.E. Renthal, RK, DID, Regina chains....None o-ring, o-ring or X?

Sprockets...renthal, talon or anyone tried the stealth-ali with steel teeth?

Also do you guys rely on the fish clip or do you press rivet the link?

Cheers Nick

• Experts
i use a farm implament chain from tractor supply cost me about 10 bucks. ive had it on for over a year riding on motorcross tracks. on the dyno u yeild 1/2 hp more because it spins free'er than anything else. ? i put it on rode for bout an hour tightend it once and never touched it since. my .o2 ?

NOT GOOD IDEA !

Industrial chain is different in design and isn't designed to take the impacts of motorcycle use. Industrial chain is normally in a non stressed application. Steady rpm and load.

What if it breaks and goes through your cases ?

Oring or Xring chain will also last much longer and takes a lot of abuse.

Dwight ?

• Like 1

• Experts
As the chain broke at the link clip on me at the weekend on my 525 plus breaking off 10 teeth from the rear sprocket ? I thought i would start a thread on who uses what makes and types of chain and sprockets.

Money being no object for the strongest and best wearing.

I.E. Renthal, RK, DID, Regina chains....None o-ring, o-ring or X?

Sprockets...renthal, talon or anyone tried the stealth-ali with steel teeth?

Also do you guys rely on the fish clip or do you press rivet the link?

Cheers Nick

Use the clip link but plan on replacing it a couple times during life of the chain.

I prefer steel sprockets. Moose makes a nice stainless steel 52T rear. I have also had good luck with the Sunstar Z sproket. It is almost as strong as a steel sprocket and is almost as light as an aluminum one.

KTM puts a top of the line Regina chain on their bikes but non of the KTM team rider use it. I broke a Regina ( I never broke on on my Hondas ) and was told by Team KTM Riders that they used the top of the line EK Xring chain, because they too had broken Reginas. I now use the EK brand. I got from my Parts Unlimited dealer.

Be sure to also run the Moose chain guide as the stock KTM guide will wear your master link out.

Cher'o,

Dwight

I had a hot rod 520 SX 6 speed set up for desert, that would eat up chains, sprockets & wheel bearings faster than anybike I have ever had....the most important thing with linkless suspension is leave the chain VERY loose...Chains break, hubs & sprockets & wheel bearings are destroyed by chain tension that would be ok on a link stlye bike. I have had good luck with the Regina X or Z ring (I had one the bike for almost two years of desert racing). I am an Ironman sprocket dealer and do swear by them. We are coming up on 3 years running one on a 426 desert bike. At 3 ounces heavier than aluminum you can't beat the wear...always buy chain and 2 sprockets together for best wear life.

When I order from rocky mountain ATV, I purchase the heighest tensil strength Xring.

I investeted many hrs studying sprocket ratios. Many who ride my bike in the tight woods of PA like the 14/54 tooth combo. Bigger the front sprocket less wear on the chain.

All bets are off out west, but what do you have to loose in trying bigger front sprockets and adjust the rear by 3 teath at a time.

Good luck.

e

One of my friends told me that if you replace the chain or sproket you should replace them both at the same time or they will wear out faster. Is there any truth to this?

Yes, this is true. However, I normally go through 2-3 counter shaft sprockets per set. I change them once they start to hook noticeably.

Anyone use Primary Drive chain and sprockets?

i use the sprockets, and i've been very very pleased with them. i tried the chain, since they were out of the DID x-ring when i ordered, and so far i've been pretty impressed with it too, but i only have a couple thousand miles on it so far. it certainly runs as smooth and goes on as easy as the fancier ones.

i ride 4-5k miles every year, and i'm not made of money. i don't mind paying top dollar when necessary, but i always like to find something that works really well for cheap.

also, any ktm owners should keep a close eye on the master link. it is a well-documented problem that the stock chainguide rubs on the master link and wears the pins down until the link pops off. that's why people put clutch slave-cylinder protectors on. an even better solution is to buy an extra master link when you buy a chain, and when it starts to wear and make you nervous, just replace it.

mw

Coming from the street side, I got over 9,000 miles on a set of Renthal Sprockets and a RK GB520GXW on my RC51. That's the highest tensile strength 520 chain on the market. (Believe me, I've looked - A LOT) Anyway, the Renthal rear will probably wear a little fast offroad, but the chain was a gift from the gods. I've got tons of offroad customers who swear by the Moose Stainless Steel rear sprockets. Just my 2 cents.. However, on a side note, the GB520GXW is a pretty wide 520. If you've got clearance issues with o-ring chains you'll have to look elsewhere. ?

• 3 months later...
I have the Ironman and am very happy. Right now Sidewinder is having a blowout on their tri-metals for 49$ for the rear. It is for KTM's only. Apparently the made way too many and are trying to dump some stock.

Yeah, - I saw the Sidewinder $49 ad on the back cover of my newly received Trail Rider Magazine. I promptly called Sidewinder to order one and was told "that promo ended last week, but I'll cut you a deal and let you have one for $79". This is just the type of crap customer service I've heard about regarding Sidewinder. I won't be calling them anymore. ?

Yeah, - I saw the Sidewinder $49 ad on the back cover of my newly received Trail Rider Magazine. I promptly called Sidewinder to order one and was told "that promo ended last week, but I'll cut you a deal and let you have one for $79". This is just the type of crap customer service I've heard about regarding Sidewinder. I won't be calling them anymore. ?

That sucks. They even had a big article in this month's trailrider I think uit was about them.