[[Template core/global/plugins/realFaviconGenerator does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

This is it..[deciding which bike]

Ok, the two bikes in consideration are the honda CRF230F and the YZF250... (background info) trail riding and starting on MX tracks- riding for one year ;

Ok now, which bike should and get? Which one will pay off more in the end and take beatings ocasionally on the MX track... Iam not sure about the YZF250 directly because of its cost which is some serious buck-a-roonies.. But if it is really what i am going to end up needed why not get it now... I'am sure the YZF250 is just as reliable as the 230F, am i right?

If you have anything to add about either bike such as how it handles, power, and or suspension please feel free to add.

many thanks for your all's input

You can either buy the CRF230, wishing it was a YZF, and take a loss at resale time or buy the bike you really want.

You will always save money in the long run by getting what you really want the first time. If you can't swing the bucks for what you want then stay on the 150 until you save up enough. You will get to the YZF faster that way than to settle for the 230.

The 230 is slow, heavy, and electric start (Electric start!!!). You would like your moded 150 more. A YZ250F is a huge difference over the 250. Trust me, my brother has the 230. Think about it this way, CRF230- 12hp. YZ250F- 33hp. Go to FMF then to http://www.fmfracing.com/dynoroom.asp then you will. www.cycletrader.com has some really good deals on some good bikes in your area. Long live YZ250F!!!

thanks for your input... more is wanted and appreciated :cry:

just read this post I started a few days ago in the crf230 forum:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222971

Basically.... I'm new to the sport. Bought the 2005 crf230 a month ago not knowing any better. For my size just not the right bike.

I just bought today a 2003 yz250f in excellent condition...great deal :cry:

http://www.mv8000sounds.com/mvshop/YZ250F/2003YZ250F.jpg

So ... I have a 2005 crf230f just bought a month ago if you're interested. :cry:

mike

the crf 230 suspension is lacking and its very slow with little power.

and it may electric start but it has no secondary starting method.

another thing to consider is the amount of maintence you want to do.

go with the yzf 250 and you WILL NOT be sorry

:cry:

the 230f is a bike built for a younger person who is just learning how to ride a bike, and you know how to ride a bike. So basically if your familiar with a clutch and how to use it you will definately enjoy the yz250f a lot more and better yet you will get more out of it.

the yzf will definitely be able to take more beatings on an mx track, seeing it is an mx bike. the yz250f is more, yes more, reliable than the crf230. get the yamaha.

I dont know why, but I doubt it. :) Honda air cooled are bulletproof.

This is oldnbold's story, and I'm sticking to it.

Way back in the wee years of motocross, I, as a young man was faced with a similar problem. I had a choice of something I could buy right then or hold out a little longer and get something I really wanted. Being the impulsive and and somewhat incorrigable type, I bought the 1st thing I could afford. It was about on the same level as the 230 honda. This beast was a Weak, undersprung, wide, handled poorly and just all around girls bike that I began my days on. In about 4 months I was too fast for the bike to handle. Not that I was the next 2 wheeled phenom, the bike was just that bad. I cracked the frame, bent the rims, blew the motor, fried the clutch etc. In return for my transgressions It gave me my 1st and 2nd concussion, broke my 1st 3 ribs, separated my 1st shoulder, broke my 1st helmet and got my 1st big insurance billl, all over the 24 months that I owned it. My much more experienced riding bud's started telling early on that that bike was going to get me hurt as I was putting it in conditions it couldn't handle. They finally convinced me after my wedding while looking at wedding photos of me weariing a bandage over my right eye from a crash I'd had 4 weeks prior.

My point is, if you view yourself as a fast rider, get a fast bike. It is much less likely to leave a scar on your face because you exceeded it's capabilities.

Just remember with the 250, you'll have more maintence, but nothing really over the top. Change the oil, clean the filter (air and oil) every coupld of rides, and you'll be fine.

Jumping from my old 230, to my YZF was like night and day. The 230 felt like a 50 when I rode it.

thanks for that reply "oldnbold"..... Sorry to hear about the bad accident... How are you holding up, anything act up now that its later.... I;ve been wondering if my collar bone will aggravate me as i get older....

Seems like i will be better off with the 250F instead of the 230F..... Almost time....

Sorry to hear about the bad accident... How are you holding up, anything act up now that its later.... I;ve been wondering if my collar bone will aggravate me as i get older....

Seems like i will be better off with the 250F instead of the 230F..... Almost time....

No worries and no regrets. I'm still a spring chicken!!! The 1st shoulder separation was the most painful until I developed scar tissue (6 months) and since then no problems, even after the 2nd and 3rd degree separations that I now have that are visible. It doesn't hurt, just looks funny with a big knot at the end of the collarbone.

The head injuries are a real convenient excuse when I forget something. Kinda works in my favor. :)