Sign in to follow this  

Tusk vs. EBC Clutch kits

Rocky Mountain sells a lot of products from a manufacturer called Tusk. One of the Tusk products is a clutch kit (steels, fibers & heavy duty springs) for $40. Rocky Mountain also sells an EBC clutch kit with heavy duty springs for more than twice that price at $105. The irony here is the description in the Rocky Mountain catalog for both products is identical:

Includes the full set of friction and steel plates. Al kits include steel plates which outlast stock alloy units and prevent heat distortion. Increased flywheel effect of steel plates improves power spread.

Does anyone have experience with the Tusk clutch kits? I'm a cheap bastage, so I'm always looking to save a buck; or in this case $65. Are the EBC clutch kits that much better. Will the el-cheapo option burn up in short order, or are they truly at least as good as OEM?

There has got to be a reason they are so cheap...

In a bike like the crf450 do you really want the cheapest clutch you can get?

don't get the tusk it will cost more in the end because you will be buying a better one later. I bought the tusk and destroyed it in two days, slipping chattering, dragging. I wouldn't suggest the EBC either, I tried it and it would overheat with very little abuse. I am a believer that stock clutches are the best and last the longest! It's cheaper to buy quality parts the first time. :cry:

As I understand it, Rocky Mountain's house brand for brake discs, brake pads, clutch kits, etc, is made by EBC.

I'm also a fan of OEM clutch discs and OEM fork seals.

If everybody is such a big fan of oem clutch kits, than why haven't I been able to sell a complete honda clutch kit for an 04 crf 450 (all plates and springs) on this site. I was asking $100 shipped, and some moron asked me if I would take less. What's going on? :cry:

Rocky mountain mc must have licensing agreements with the major companies. They sell alot of name brand products that are just put in different packaging with one of their pseudo company names on it.

I think they have agreements with MSR, Scott, EBC, and Barnett. I have purchased their brand and the products you get are exactly the same as the name brand but just say tusk on it.

I hope this helps. This happens alot in the world with licensing. The same product is manufactured and packaged in different boxes and is sold for 5 different prices.

If everybody is such a big fan of oem clutch kits, than why haven't I been able to sell a complete honda clutch kit for an 04 crf 450 (all plates and springs) on this site. I was asking $100 shipped, and some moron asked me if I would take less. What's going on? :cry:

That's a good price for a (new?) oem clutch kit...really good.

That's a good price for a (new?) oem clutch kit...really good.

Yes it's new, still in the plastic bags from honda. All plates and springs, $100 shipped to your door in the U.S. I still have it if anybody is interested.

Run away Run Away from anything other than OEM.

Ask rapture about his experience with EBC....he still has the scars to prove it...mental scars that is. Lasted about 100 feet.

OEM is the only way to go. Had my 03' CRF for two years and only put two sets of plates in it.

James