Good Price?

New guy here finally posting after lurking for the last six months. Anyway, I was at the Suzuki shop in Ashland KY today and received a quote of $4890 for a still in the crate 400S. Would you guys consider that a decent price to work with. How is the insurance on these bikes? Oh, and by the way, what a great forum!!

When I was looking, the best price I found (DC area) was $4800 ('05). There was a shop in WV that was $4500, but that is the best I could do new. But I found an '02 w/ 400 miles on it for $3,150. Some people buy these things and don't ride them, so you can sometimes catch a deal on one w/ low miles...just something to consider

I got insurance w/ Progressive...$70/year (I think) liability only. For comprehensive, etc it jumped to like $350 I think, which I didn't think was worth it.

New to TT as well and have also been lurking. I can get a '02 with 0 miles for $3900 with warranty..just sitting in a warehouse taking up space. That price was off the cuff and I didn't make any offers yet as I want to look around. I'd like to find a DRZ or XR400 for around $3k. What would you guys give for a new '02 DRZ400S? They also have an E model for the same $.

I'm looking at an '05 DRZ400S here in Connecticut, haven't done any talking yet, as I'm not gonna be ready for another month or so.

My question is - apart from a decent price on the bike, what are you also paying for? How much are they getting you for the assembly, and any other things like advertising and holdback, etc.? Seems like $250 is about average here in CT for assembly. ??

Thanks

Nick

I just bought an '05 DRZ-s in Jersey. I got it for $5149 + tax + $99 for doc and assembly. So I'm out the door for around $5500. Suzuki has a finance deal on the dual sports until 3/31/05 -- $77 a month 9.9% interest, no prepayment or transfer penalties.

Not as low as some of the other prices I see in this thread, but not too far off either. Other dealers in Jersey started with the list of $5499 and added $400 for prep and other crap and i was looking at $6500 OTD, which I thought was ridiculous....

Your deal is similiar to mine. Basically I got mine negotiated to $5200 plus dock and assembly fees...came to right at list. This was for a new KLX 03 in January of 03.

If I had it to do over again I would buy one in a crate and assemble it myself...but I was too inexperienced with motorcycles at that point. Now I am more confident.

Your deal is similiar to mine. Basically I got mine negotiated to $5200 plus dock and assembly fees...came to right at list. This was for a new KLX 03 in January of 03.

If I had it to do over again I would buy one in a crate and assemble it myself...but I was too inexperienced with motorcycles at that point. Now I am more confident.

I'd be surprised, very surprised, if you COULD buy one in a crate.

Got a price today from a shop here in Connecticut - $5099 for the bike - OTD at about $5600. That seems pretty good from what I can tell, but I'm gonna shop around a bit more, I have 2 more dealers in the area. Gotta see which one feels right.

I went to cyclebuy.com and got what they claim is the supposed invoice price as well as other incidental costs, and I think that anything around $5000 for the bike seems fair. So paying around $5500 OTD I think would make me feel as if I didn't get ripped too bad. ? What do you guys think? :D?

Oh yeah - What about the 3 year extended warranty? Is it worth it, or not - I'd be doing 75% street, so I wouldn't be doing much mods to the bike, but if it's as bomb proof as it seems, I could use the $450 elsewhere. ?

Thanx

Nick

I look at it this way. Whatever you are comfortable with is a fair price.

However if you are looking for bragging rights...you will have to deal them down a lot lower. But keep in mind that not all dealers are willing to deal down to bragging rights levels...because they have no trouble selling them or they don't keep many of them because they don't sell them often.

But all of that aside...I don't think I would let them send me out the door for more than list. In my opinion they can either have a margin or the prep fees...but not both.

It's not as if the prep fees are money you spend & get nothing. A guy really does go out there and assemble your bike & make sure it's ok for riding. That isn't free for the dealer & the assembler needs to eat too.

As far as price out the door, I find that when talking to a dealer, he's much more flexible on accessories when put into the deal. So instead of pushing for that last $50 off the OTD price, think of what you need or will soon need and add that to the purchase. Then wrap the whole deal up. For example, the dealer may be willing to sell you a new helmet for a very good price as part of the bike deal, but not if you walk in a week later just for the hat.

Are you a dealer Slide or maybe work for one?

What is the profit margin on a typical bike? 20%? Maybe more? ?

Labor is a factor of doing business. It is the same in any business.

I work in a bank. We sell mortgages. We can give you the best rate around and charge you large junk closing fees...or we can charge you a fair competive rate and eliminate junk fees. My dealer agreed with me...and so we came to terms. ?

If I had the startup capital...I believe I would open my own dealership. I have my own ideas about marketing and service. There are very few who excel in volume marketing and competent...much less knowledgeable service. That is one of the main reasons everyone comes here to find out how to do it themselves. Am I not right? ?

By the way...I am not dis-ing you. I just have a different opinion. :D

I have bought enough new bikes to tell you that the dealer wants to sell you a bike point blank! If you enter into the deal with drool dripping out of your mouth, they will play on that for sure ! It has alot to do with attitude! Also when you talk with the sales person, set a price in your mind and try and stay within your goals.(be realistic) Example , I bought a new kodiak and it listed for $6100. After they added dock, setup tax, title , etc-etc it was like $7500.00 OTD and i was like NO WAY dude run the #'s again. All said and done I worked a warn winch into the deal and took it home at $6300.00. OTD They will deal, tell them you want a deal or you will go somewhere else! Look around for your DRZ used . As someone stated, guys buy these things and find out it's not thier cup of tea. I bought my 02 DRZ 400 S model a year old with 70 miles on it for $3500.00. I had to drive to Cincinatti to get it but when the dude opened the garage door i was like Ummmmm heres the money where the Notary? ?