Sign in to follow this  

First post......what to get?

Howdy

Been wanting to get a bike for a while now. Im a mountain biker, and Ive found that some places are just too big to do on a human powered rig...

I have had a few friends tell me what to get, so I thought Ide ask here and compare notes. The riding I will be doing will be all trails. No jumps or insane stuff, just getting out on Jeep roads. Mostly in Moab, UT area. Maybe a little out here in the deserts of southern Ca.

I must have something street legal (I live in CA), very quiet, enough power to ride on the road to get where Im going, and do well on the trails. I dont think that I would ever ride more than 50 miles on the road, and even so it wouldnt be on an interestate but rather empty back Utah roads.

I want it to be street legal so I can ride it around where I live (rural) and be able to take it from the hotel or whatever straight to the trail without having to load it up in the truck, and then leave the truck out somewhere. Not to mention that many of the trails that I plan to ride are not loops.

Ive never ridden before, but Im a fast learner/motorhead, and mountain biker. Im 6'1" and 180 lbs.

What bike should I get?

Thanks for the help!!!!!!! :cry:

I'm thinking a Yamaha WRF or Suzuki DRZ.

Both are designated trail bikes that can be made street legal. They're pretty quiet in their own right, but if you need to make them more quiet an FMF Q2 muffler will be able to help you out.

Welcome to TT, Manny. In my experience, mountain bikers pick up dirtbiking very fast and naturally. Do you ever make it up here to Norcal? If so, you can try out my XR250 and CRF450 at the local dirtbike park, and we can show you a few tricks that will make your intro into dirtbiking go a lot smoother. The last MTB friend that we gave a demo ride to picked it all up really fast, and he had a blast.

The problem with dual-sport bikes is that they are a serious compromise in the dirt (and on the street). They certainly have their place, but honestly, riding a dual sport in the dirt is like riding an overweight Schwinn single-speed with flat pedals on a serious MTB trail. You can get down the trail, but you won't be bunny-hopping over anything, so you'll have to go a LOT slower and rely on luck a lot more.

For me, the best part of dirtbikes and MX tracks is getting the balance right, and becoming part of the bike/rider combo to rhythm over stuff. Great beauty -- rail a corner and jump the double, then pin it to get over the big jump afterwards, then hammer the whoops after that. Man, it doesn't get much better than that.

I've done some easy trail riding on heavy dual-sport bikes, and for me it was scary. The margin that you get with a light MX bike is gone, so you either go a lot slower, or you take your life in your hands and try your best to go faster. But as you say, there is an advantage to not having to load up to ride at a riding spot that's only a few miles away. So there's some value in that. But my bet is that if you get a chance to ride an MX bike with a little coaching (like one of our demo rides), you'll try to figure out how to get your MX bike to the tracks and trails without the dual-sport option. Honestly, man, dual-sports are scary when you push them. At least for me.

Have fun whichever way you go bud! -Mike- :cry:

Would 400 cc be enough for the long term?

Im just concerned that it may be better to suck up and take on the weight of a 600 cc bike over running the snot out of a 400cc motor.......

:cry:

Thanks Berkeman

I really need to learn how to ride first....Ive got a buddy with a Yam 400, he said hell show me.

The real purpose of getting a bike in the first place is just to get out and take in scenery that would be difficult on a mountain bike, or in a jeep. I cant say I would be flying through the desert, more like cruising. But still, its hard to say, because I havent ridden. Things may change, but I suppsoe I could always trade bikes.

I guess that getting an older bike that is converted to DS (with a kit or something) may be better than getting one that was built from the factory with DS in mind. No?

tx

Howdy

Been wanting to get a bike for a while now. Im a mountain biker, and Ive found that some places are just too big to do on a human powered rig...

I have had a few friends tell me what to get, so I thought Ide ask here and compare notes. The riding I will be doing will be all trails. No jumps or insane stuff, just getting out on Jeep roads. Mostly in Moab, UT area. Maybe a little out here in the deserts of southern Ca.

I must have something street legal (I live in CA), very quiet, enough power to ride on the road to get where Im going, and do well on the trails. I dont think that I would ever ride more than 50 miles on the road, and even so it wouldnt be on an interestate but rather empty back Utah roads.

I want it to be street legal so I can ride it around where I live (rural) and be able to take it from the hotel or whatever straight to the trail without having to load it up in the truck, and then leave the truck out somewhere. Not to mention that many of the trails that I plan to ride are not loops.

Ive never ridden before, but Im a fast learner/motorhead, and mountain biker. Im 6'1" and 180 lbs.

What bike should I get?

Thanks for the help!!!!!!! :cry:

I came from 15 years of MB riding before getting my XR650L dual sport in December. Its my first MC ever and at 48 I'm hooked. For me and it sounds like for you also dual sport is the only way to go. And while I only have 3 big dual sport rides under my belt so far. I can say DRZ400S would be the bike for me if I had it to do over again.

Then again I steal the wifes bike as often as I can! :cry:

So 400cc is enough?

Does your 600cc suck more fuel than the 400?

We have the same tastes in trucks too........... :cry:

Heres a Honda Im looking at.Here

Both my 650L and DRZ400 are stock. The 400 is more fun to ride and smoother than the 650, but the 650 won't be stock for long. I paid $4500 for my used 05 650L that had 370 miles on it. :cry:

I don't know anything about the XR600.

For me at 6' and 200 lbs the 400 is plenty.

So 400cc is enough?

Yes, 400/450cc is plenty. If you ride the open desert and want 100+mph, then the 650 bikes have an advantage, I've heard.

But for getting into dirtbike riding, IMHO you should stay with lighter bikes with lots of suspension. Dang, post in the Southwest forum to try to link up with some TTers for some variety demo rides. That's the best way to see what feels best. And read through the MX Techniques and Off-Road Techniques forums to get some beginner rider tips.

I did a demo ride thing when I first got back into dirtbikes, and the XR250 was fine for the first year or so. Then I got hooked on 3-D MX tracks, and the CRF450 was the natural 2nd bike for me. Looking back, if the CRF450 was available when I started riding again, that would have been the best intro bike for me. Great fun rocket ship with a linear throttle to 50hp. :cry: