Sign in to follow this  

XR400R Jetting Questions fm Arizona

Hello there - Here is another jetting question - recently purchased a used 1998 XR400R - Great shape! I took and removed the snorkle and took it for a ride and noticed that I was getting some bogging - low and mid range. I checked the jets - have a #148 Main and #58 pilot.

Prior to removing ths snorkle it ran well all through the power range. I then threw some different jets in last night - Main #160 pilot #60 (per Gordons mods) - low end boggin even worse and OK through the rest of the range. I am thinking about changing the Main back to #148 and the pilot to #60 - any suggestions from other people riding in Arizona (similar elevation level)???

Phoenix AZ elevation for riding 1200 to 6500

98 XR400

no snorkel- UNI filter

gordon exhaust mods

158 to 160 on main

58 or 60 on pilot

plug color light tan

bogs a little above 4500

Thanks - I just switched to # 158 Main and #58 pilot - will start it up tomorrow and see how it runs - don't want to start it tonight and upset the wife, kids and people next door.

What year did they change the slide in the XR400? In earlier years, the slide had to be modified to make it "right". If anyone doesn't know - I'll check with a friend tomorrow who used to build these things all the time (an ex factory honda trained tech who started working out of his garage...)

- jeff