Sign in to follow this  

Rain

I had to move my bike from my buddies work to my barracks. So its sitting outside and in OKinawa it rains quite a bit. My question is just how bad is it forr my bike to be left in the rain? Any ideas? Thanks

it could rust

so i suggest regular hosing downs with WD40, and just throw a tarp over it.

apart from that plug the holes up drain the fuel and keep the tank sealed, plug the exhaust and thats about it.

just remember not to start it untill you clean the filter first it will have water sitting in it and as soon as you start the bike it will probably suck in water.

i doubt your going to hurt anything doing it once.. just do what the guy above said and youll be fine.. wouldn't do it all the time though

I had to move my bike from my buddies work to my barracks. So its sitting outside and in OKinawa it rains quite a bit. My question is just how bad is it forr my bike to be left in the rain? Any ideas? Thanks

Mud has some good ideas/points....

However, let me add to it.

The bike will get condensation inside the motor... Hence an internal breakdown of rust and other issues. Water in the carb (from the condensation), airbox, carb inlet...etc. I'd never store a bike outside. Put it in the house if ya have to, or in some kind of dry storage somewhere.

Let me ask you this;

Do you consider your bike a "high performance" machine? I would.

Then think, would you park a top fuel dragster outside in the rain?!

It's all relative.

Parking a bike outside is not a good idea. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do I guess.... and if so, then you must be forced to suffer the consequences of what it will do to the bike. Spraying WD all over it will help (being WD-40 stands for Water Displacement "40" - I just forgot what the 40 meant). It won't cure your internal problems however. Maybe a bed sheet covering it, then a water resistant tarp over that. The bed sheet will help absorb some of the moisture. :) I dunno... I hope that helps.

Sacrafice your bed and let the bike sleep in piece!

MIne sits in the living room, I live in a town house, and besides I bought the bike in January and got married in February. As far as I am concerned the bike lived there first :)