Sign in to follow this  

S Dynojet Success story!!!

Finally got the parts I've been waiting what seems like years for (those 2 silly little washers that ride on the needle and the DJ spring) and got my S back together tonight. Yes, the description "wrestling match" was a good one... :devil: That blind side of the rear boot and the clamp were my biggest problem, but after a 10 minutes of fighting, a few choice words and a prayer, like magic, the boot fell into place and that rear clamp slipped in the slot. :cry:

So, I went with the standard Burned jetting... 142.5 Main, 4th clip DJ needle, DJ spring, 25 Pilot, Kientech Fuel Screw 2 1/2 turns out. Thank you so much giving us TTer's these pearls of wisdom, Burned :cry:. You saved me countless hours of what would have been painful trial and error. :cry: In the words of Ron Popeil, "Set it and Forget it!"

With a lot of faith, I bolted the tank, fins and seat on before even attempting hitting the magic button. Yes, 15 seconds of cranking and it fired right up :devil: I let her warm up a little longer than usual... It truly is freezing out tonight. Can anyone on here say they wouldn't go for a test ride because it was too cold, dark and foggy out??? Yes, I had no choice. :D

OK... It runs AMAZING now. Night and day difference. If there is any sign of the "dreaded off-idle bog", I'm not savvy enough to notice it. Pulls so much harder now. Even with stock gearing, it truly was hard not to loft the front wheel when getting on it after stop signs. I usually don't ride in temps like these (32 right now) so it will be interesting to see how it runs this Spring, but right now I couldn't be happier. :D

Best of all is the satisfaction of doing it myself and seeing that everything is done right (which it wasn't when I hired the job done last year). :cry: Also, I learned so much that I'm no longer afraid to dig in. MCCT will be next!

Thanks again to Burned for the tried and true settings, Bronco for all the help and encouragement (and being so patient with my silly newbie questions), and to everyone else (so many!) that offered advice. :cry:

I can't wait till Spring!!!

-Rob

nice, i gotta get on that. forgive my ignorance but the yosh came first, then the new DJ settings?

is a dynojet kit something worth trying before one even gets their hands on a new exhaust system?

thank you

or a, $400(I guess I forget the price) 39mm FCR carburator from www.sudco.com?

well maybe later eh? Now this, this is night and day. Along with some hotcams, and its like a different engine for us S model riders.

nice, i gotta get on that. forgive my ignorance but the yosh came first, then the new DJ settings?

is a dynojet kit something worth trying before one even gets their hands on a new exhaust system?

thank you

Well, the DJ kit is a lot cheaper, so probably best to start there... But if you know you will be getting the pipe soon anyway, do it all at once and save some work. :cry:

or a, $400(I guess I forget the price) 39mm FCR carburator from www.sudco.com?

well maybe later eh? Now this, this is night and day. Along with some hotcams, and its like a different engine for us S model riders.

Well yes, I would love to have that FCR and cams... Maybe someday :cry: But for now, this works great. Plus, I have something to look forward to when my skills (and budget) improve. :cry:

Wow Rob! I just finish my test ride after Dynojetting My S and I sit down and read your adventure. We were doing this in parallel.

Mine has stock exhaust and opened air box. I had a hell of a time getting the carb out - I finally raised the subframe. I had to drill the heads off two of the bowl screws, I should have just done that to all of them. I would have had the bowl off in two minutes instead of 15 minutes of fooling around with visegrips. The rest of the job was routine except getting the carb back in.

As for the test run. It's dark and cold so I can't really tell that much on acceleration. One thing's for sure, it cruises at 70-75 much easier now. Before it just seemed weird - vibrations and odd throttle response between 65 and 75 mph. I assume it was just really lean. I did one brief speed run but shut it down at 97 mph (and slowly climbing) because of over running the head light, and up coming curves. It doesn't pop on closed throttle (yeah!), low and mid throttle running feels more natural, before it seemed...uptight, strangled, surging? I left the 142.5 main in, put the clip in one groove higher (leaner). and put in a 25 pilot. I put in an extended fuel screw - 3 turns to start. I mostly ride in 2000 to 5000 foot elevations. I figure I'll fiddle around with the main jet later when I have more time and it's warmer, it seems OK WFO now. I didn't expect any more power WFO from the jetting but I was hoping for better ridability. I'm sure that's the case from my ride tonight and I'm really looking forward to a real test ride.

BTW, I placed the fuelcock on prime for a couple of minutes to fill the bowl and the bike started up on the first firing stroke!

I got my stuff at Kientech Engineering - very helpful and only took one day to get my order! Thanks!

Wow Rob! I just finish my test ride after Dynojetting My S and I sit down and read your adventure. We were doing this in parallel.

Small world!!! :cry: Now if you were REALLY like me, while you were out on the ride, you had two thoughts. One, "Wow, this thing is runnin' great!" Two, "I gotta get on TT when I get home and tell someone about it!" :cry: Three thoughts, actually. "Dang, its cold out here!!!"

I got my stuff at Kientech Engineering - very helpful and only took one day to get my order! Thanks!

Yes, thats for sure... Jesse was great to deal with when getting the DJ kit, Fuel screw and new bowl screws. Mine came the next day, too, so I don't think it was a fluke.

Have fun riding! :cry:

Thanks for posting the reports. I'm glad to hear your mods went well. I have all of the parts on the workbench and I am just waiting for the weekend to do the work. But now one of my buddies wants to ride in the desert this Saturday, so it may be a few more days... I hope mine turns out as good as yours. Every time I try a project like this, I do more than a little :cry: but it usually works out in the end.

BTW, I had the same experience--Jesse at Kientech is great. He is a great source of both the parts and the knowledge. :cry:

Got my DJ kit from the thumpertalk store, who are always great too. :cry:

thank you

Bob,

It is worth it even if you still have the stock exhaust. I was kicking myself

for not doing it much earlier then I did. It really wakes the bike up,

the new sound from the airbox is also a nice bonus. :cry:

Hi everyone. I'm real new to this DRZ scene (had my 400s for 2 years but just moved to the country where I can off-road it) and I'm in the process of getting the bike ready to trail ride (CFC covers, Unabiker etc..). I live in the UK and was wondering if there are any UK'ers who have actually done the 3x3 mod and also if it's something a 'REAL' amateur should even consider!! I can't afford a new pipe and I've never really taken an engine apart. Reading from these forums about how many turns for a fuel screw, what size jet, gear ratios, how to make a nuclear bomb etc.. I'm starting to wonder whether I should even consider it. I know there are guides of how to do it but does anyone have a really basic 'How to make your DRZ scream' manual/instructions. I am a competent DIY'er and not afraid of getting my hands dirty and I would love to get this bike the way it's supposed to be. Sorry for the long post. Craig :cry:

I sure hope the DJ kit is worth the additional expense. I've read, and reread numerous posts about the DJ kit vs needle shim vs 150/27.5 jetting vs swap to FCR with the 3x3 mod. I have great respect for burned and others here who have spent considerable time, money, and energy in testing, evaluating, and informing the rest of us about all of these options. :cry::cry:

To be candid, I don't find the stock S exciting in terms of performance. Even installing 14/47 gearing didn't wake the bike up the way I had hoped it would. Then again, I've been jaded by sportbikes for many years. The last one had 140 hp at the wheel. :cry: I've spent considerable time debating with myself as to whether I should mod my S, or dump it in favour of an E, a WR450, or possibly the new 450X Honda.

To help myself reach a decision, I went to work on the airbox with the utility knife last night. As I also take pride in my rides, I finished the job off with a file, and some emery cloth. Nice large, smooth, uniform, opening with a radius in each corner. :cry: Now I gotta do something to the jetting, 'cause the bike will run like crap if I don't, and I can't in good conscience, trade or sell the bike that way. The tightwad in me wants to just change the jets and see how much more jump the bike has. Then, if the bike excites me, I can either install the DJ kit, or go whole hog with FCR and/or additional changes. What say you folks about that idea? :cry:

Then, if the bike excites me, I can either install the DJ kit, or go whole hog with FCR and/or additional changes. What say you folks about that idea? :cry:

Nothing that has not been said 1000 times already.

Do the DJ kit with burned's specs for $50, or buy an FCR for $400.

Next big jump would be the 440 kit, after cams & exhaust of course.

You must have got the S for a reason in the first place?

Can you plate a CRF450X where you live?

bronco 78,

No disrespect man, but for me, there is mystery. :cry: I understand the superior technology behind the DJ needle and spring, I'm just not sure the difference between "ultimate" jetting and "improved" jetting, will amount to a significant "riding" difference that makes the DJ kit worth the additional cost.

kawidual,

I bought the S thiniking it's performance would be closer to the E than what it really is. I also believed at the time of purchase, that I would spend more time on the road with the bike than what I do. Putting a plate on the 450X will not be a problem.

I've read in other threads that the DJ slide spring is lighter. I'm guessing that will help in reducing fatigue and arm pump?

As for the DJ kit itself, the cheapest price I've found so far is $56.66+tax & shipping. Anyone know of a better deal than that ?

I've read in other threads that the DJ slide spring is lighter. I'm guessing that will help in reducing fatigue and arm pump?

G, The DJ spring is lighter and helps improve responsiveness, but it isnt connected to the throttle cable so you wont feel any difference as far as wrist fatigue. I'm not sure it there anyone makes a lighter spring for that :cry:

As for price, TT will gladly beat any price you find so I would go with them or Keintech ($55). Either way you cant go wrong there. :cry:

I'd suggest calling Kientech--order the DJ kit, the extended fuel screw and the allen head screws for the float bowl (to replace the stock ones you will strip trying to remove them). He can probably sell you the jets you need, too. Probably the easiest way to do it and if anyone else is cheaper it can't be by much?

Did my 3x3 airbox mod and Dynojet kit yesterday. Followed the recipe--142.5 (stock) main jet, 25 pilot jet, DJ needle and spring, Keintech fuel screw 2.5 turns out. I've got a Yosh SS full system with the new style (cylindrical) TEC insert.

This afternoon, the rain finally stopped and I got it out on the road. It definitely pulls hard down low and through the mid range! The difference is really impressive. Not the slightest hint of bog. It pulls hard and smoothly all the way from down low to red line. The front wheel lifts with a twist of the wrist in first, but in second it takes some real effort. Maybe if the rear suspension wasn't so soft?

It idles like it needs a bit more fuel--so that would be another 1/4 or 1/2 on the fuel screw, right? But it doesn't bog or stall when I crank the throttle from idle.

Tomorrow I'm riding in the high desert, with a guy who has a stock KLX400 (except for a slip-on exhaust). I haven't told him I jetted it yet. So the real question is, would it be wrong for me to wager lunch on a friendly drag race? :)

Burned,

The bike ran great all over the SoCal deserts today. I didn't even adjust the pilot screw-still right at 2.5 turns. Does that make sense? I mean, if it was idling a bit slow/rough hear (300ft) should the idle be better at average 2700 ft?

I am thrilled with the performance. I had the opportunity to do a side-by side compare with a stock KLX 400 and the difference is significant. At the same time, I wonder if it would run better/worse in the deserts/mountains with a 140 main instead of the stock 142.5. But I'm no tuner. So what symptoms should I look/listen for, performance wise, to tell if I should go through the trouble of changing the main jet? I will pull the plug tomorrow and see what the color tells me.

Thanks again for all of the good advice!

Brian