Sign in to follow this  

other bikes and there valves

i find it funny that so many people say honda has valve issues bla bla bla, i have spent some time looking through the yellow, green and blue threads and found the same thing i have found at honda :cry: kinda :cry: don't ya think

Then you may need to reread the details. The difference is in the length of time between shimming and valve replacements. When you hear of some people having to reshim every three rides something is wrong. When you read of someone wanting to change year of bikes do to upgrades in suspension only, that says something for reliability.

The one that really led me to buying the YZ250F instead of a CRF250R was the post stating not a single CRF250 had finished an endurance race of the Baja series. Also another one was the 24 hour ladies race that the bike had to be repaired once for valves and still couldn't finish the race.

Yes, I believe the CRF250R is a better handling bike than the YZ250F but when it comes to enjoyment, riding is always better than wrenching. I hope Honda finds the problem as I'd love to own one as a WR450F replacement. Some of these bikes are going for a long time, but apparently that's the ones not being ridden hard. I bounce that poor little YZ250F off the limiter pretty regular trying to make-up for the power of the WR450F so it needs to be a very solid motor. If bouncing off a limiter is what takes out the CRF250's, then it would live a short life with my heavy butt on board. Some say it's the maintenance, I know that's not the case. When a bike fails at 12 easy miles, maintenance hasn't become an issue. Plus the other two in our area that went were under 60 days old, but they were valves only. Still, you don't hear of a YZF failing in that short of time unless it's some off the wall story about hitting a tree and tearing the head of the bike.

I know this is a sore subject and I love Hondas but there is something wrong. My daughter races a TRX90 and it's about bullet proof. Even with the manual pull start it fires off easier that her previous 80 Raptor ever would (taking up to 1/2 hour to start....aggrevating piece of ....). It also had to have it's valves adjusted about every two-three rides during race season. Her TRX90 about every 10 rides, and that's with high performance springs and cam.

Anyway, some people get lucky :cry: and some don't :cry: ...... :cry:

Rich

With the new KXF/RMZ engines that are now making power at higher rpm's, they too are going to be failing like the Honda. Only thing that saved those bikes for 2004 was that they had to be shortshifted a bit to be effective, so riders weren't running them as high in the rev range as much.

I guarantee you that you are going to see some green and yellow bikes with the same issues. The blue bikes DO last longer between valve services because having 3 intakes, they can get by with less lift and are simply easier on the valve train. But when a blue one DOES need parts, they cost an arm and 2 legs...

It's not a bad design, it's called getting 35hp out of a 250cc engine...these are race bikes and are going to need more maintenance than the venerable XR series... :cry: Take your Buick and make it put out as much power per displacement unit and you are going to start seeing some of the same things happening...

I don't know, but I don't.

Same here. I've had my 05 since September and I have ran it very hard.

I race hare scrambles and the little thumper has been bullet proof.

I do change the oils and clean the air filter religiously, but when I'm

out riding it, I am ringing it for all it's worth. If I can get a year out of

it w/ no problems then I'll be a happy customer.

The one that really led me to buying the YZ250F instead of a CRF250R was the post stating not a single CRF250 had finished an endurance race of the Baja series. Also another one was the 24 hour ladies race that the bike had to be repaired once for valves and still couldn't finish the race.

Baja series bike:

I spoke via telephone with the person who posted his experiences with the 250X in the Baja race. According to him, he received the bike used from a dealer. All he knew was that the dealer put an HRC cam in it (which was probably the R cam as HRC denies the existence of any special cam), shimmed the valves loosely and turned them loose with it. He had no idea whether the carb had dirt, the history of the bike, the condition of the valves when he got the bike....... In short, this could have been a heavily abused bike BEFORE beginning one of the toughest endurance races for motorcycles.

24 Hours Ladies bike:

I spent a lot of time unsuccessfully looking for my Jan '05 Dirt Rider which (I think??) is where this was reported. As I recall, the bike the ladies used for the 24 Hours of Glen Helen was used before the ladies got it (don't recall where I read this). "had to be repaired once for valves" could refer to a bike that was mercilessly abused until the valves began to tighten, valves shimmed once, then dumped on the ladies. Someone help me out here and find the article......

I personally like Yamahas and a WR/YZ250F would be my second choice to a CRF, but if I'd be a bit myopic if I made my decision based on a few posts like this. As I've said before, there are plenty of documented valve failures in Yamaha, Honda and Kawazuki engines.

Let's face it, assertions of superior reliability of one make versus another are tough to verify scientifically. We just don't have a reliable source of data.

Found the article. The article does not state if the bike is new or not, my guess is that it was new. After 12 hours the bike would not restart and they went to the DIRT RIDER test CRFX that they said was thrashed. The test bike finished the race but it seems they had to raise the idle to keep it fom stalling so they would not have to restart it.

Found the article. The article does not state if the bike is new or not, my guess is that it was new. After 12 hours the bike would not restart and they went to the DIRT RIDER test CRFX that they said was thrashed. It test bike finished the race but it seems they had to raise the idle to keep it fom stalling so they would not have to restart it.

Thanks. It may have been new, I just recall reading otherwise somewhere...... I'll keep looking.

Let us know if it was a used bike. I have one of the first ten "X's" LA Cycle got in last Feb. Have about 800 miles of dusty desert riding on the 250X and have had no troubles. Checked the valves 3 times so far, the last in Dec, and still well within spec. Love this bike but will go with SS valves and brass seats when I need to replace them.

does anyone ever look at what fuel their running and valve issues together?

personally i own an 04 crf250 and i have just not had any issues with valve clearances and i work on these things all the time and apart from inital adjustment they just don,t seem to move much unless you race real hard and even then they are still just out of spec. the only thing that to me as a motorcycle mechanic that sticks out as causing problems is the different kinds of fuel in different countries or guys who do no maintanence.

anyway just a thought

I dont think it matters. I believe this has previsouely been brought up. I run/ran VP110 which is leaded (should give the valves cushion) and still have valve issues. I believe people who run U4 and pumo gas all still have problems.