yfz 450 gearing

Has anyone experimented with gearing on the yzf450? Im thinking of doing some desert racing and it will be running in a couple inches of sand. I would like to know what gearing it will pull. The motor etc. is standard. What is the largest front sprocket you have fitted and did it need any mods to fit in? Thanks for your reply

I had a 15/45 on my 04 yz450 for desert riding. I even rode some deep sand with that set up, without a problem. The biggest thing I noticed when riding with the 15/45, was that the back wheel seemed heavier, it hooked up great. I remember a couple of times I looked back to see if it was flat. Top speed was 90 mph and it wouldn't bounce off the rev limiter. I went back to 14/45 and hit the rev limiter at 92. As far as going to a 16 tooth front, It's possible, but you would have to do some trimming and find some extra horsepower. I'm happy with the 14/45, next I'm going to try 14/44.

?

I run 15/49, and it works out great for me. This gives me a first gear identical to that of a stock YZ426 (14/48), and puts 4th 2/3 of the way up the gap between the 426's 4th and 5th. Paper top speed with this setup is 93 mph, but when you factor tire slippage, etc. (even on pavement) reality is a little lower. I've topped it out on the asphalt at 91 (using a GPS) at the rev limit.

I ride everything with this same gearing. It's a little bit tall in tight trail stuff, and it's a little buzzy on a graded road in the desert, but otherwise, it works fine.

As far as what it will pull, I wouldn't go any bigger than a 16' fun box. ?

Sorry to sound a bit dull, but whats a 16' fun box?
Very popular with "gotta have everything" types in SoCal. A "fun box" or "toy box" is an enclosed trailer with a tailgate the entire height and width of the back end set up to haul your toys to wherever. They usually have folding cots and kitchenettes built in too, so they double as a camp trailer. I only seem cynical about them because I can't afford one. ?

...when you went down from a 15 to a 14 tooth front you essentially dropped 3.7 teeth on the rear. Thats a big drop, did you find much difference in the bike from riding it after a change like that?

I think what you meant was going to a 14 from a 15 is the same as adding teeth to the rear, which will make the bike accelerate quicker. A 15 tooth in the front will transfer the power to the dirt less aggresively, it'll feel like you have more traction. When I went back to 14, it was like a two-stroke again. I will probably go back to the 15, just not 15/45, maybe 15/47. If your riding desert, just buy a 15 tooth and run the stock rear, I don't think you'll be disappointed.