[[Template core/global/plugins/realFaviconGenerator does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Hardest Starting 230 made?

My wifes 230 is an 03 model with stock jetting, and its a mother to get it to start. I heard the 230 is jetted lean and I am at 3600ft so it shouldn't be too bad. Carbs and jets clean, new plug, good spark, float good, filter clean checked valves etc. It will not start with the choke on! it will not start with the choke half way! It will only start in the run position after grinding on the starter for about 5 minutes, at first a few pops then idles then revs. And now for the kicker it runs great! I rode it up to 6500ft ran great, out on the street runs great! When warmed up starts fine and you would swear its the best running thing in town. My only idea is the pilot is to lean from other posts but my choke should make up for that when starting. The choke can be moved to the half way point after starting and the engine will rev up without bogging but will bog in the run position. As for the battery, my charger will spin this engine really fast but no change in starting habits. Any ideas?

I don't know about that specific model, what others have done with it or JD has but the symtoms you describe sounds like a needs a bigger pilot jet, possably a bigger choke jet as well.

Seeing as your in montana, It's cold out now right? My XR250 will fire up first or second kick every time. When it's cold, garage is not heated. It will not start unless I put a ceramic heater focused on the jug for about 5-10 minutes. After this it will fire right up. Maybe you could try that until it's warm again.