Sign in to follow this  

hands over pipe

because if your hands are cold,the pipe will keep them warm,only when wearing gloves though,it might burn you if you do it bare handed.I did that when I went trail riding on long trips during the rests,I didnt know racers did it though.

I often do that to tell if the bike is warmed up enough to start riding.

i do it if its cold. and because even if its hot, i like to get my throttle hand warmed up, maybe a liittle superstition. also, i read in MotocrossAction Mag. about the pros superstitions, they do have them you know :)

HondaCRF250R sweet bike :)

i see people do it at the end of the pipe so it blows there hand back as they rev it. why do the do that??? to make sure there bikes got compression?

The only thing you can find out about how it is running is if it is misfiring a lot. As far as checking compression-if you have compression your bike will start, if you don't have compression your bike won't start. I don't think sticking your hand over the pipe is a good compression gauge.

It wont serve as a compression test, but its great for finding missfires, and can sometimes tell you if its running rich or lean. Do racers run open pipes? if not, perhaps they're checking that fiberglass packing itsnt blocking their exhaust..

the only time i do it is tho c if my cylender i warm after a rebuild but i dont c pros do it

hell i do it to make sure the dam thing is still running,-- on the line with 40 noisey dam revd up bikes i hate it when it quits and i didnt know it :)

lmao man, you cant feel your bike rev? no vibration at all?

I know when my 250 is running, my hands are going numb.

when your just trying to warm it up and you first on the line and your trying to run it nice and slow and smooth no you cant feel it and there is so many other thing going on and if it quits you would be supprized how hard it is to start again when you cant here or feel anthing but everbody elses stuff and not yours. :)

On a Two Stroke I do it to see if I am spitting oil. See how my mix ratio is...and feel how warm the exhaust is.

On a four stroke I'd guess just to test the exhaust temp.

For some reason I remember seeing temp Fuel and Funny Car mechanics doing the same thing on the start line...

in the cars you do it to make sure each cylinder is hitting and not cold week and misfiring :)