Sign in to follow this  

KDX or KLX

hello everyone , I need some input on these bikes. looking for a low maintance,realiable trail bike. I will be trail riding at my local off road park which is kinda tight, some mud and rocks.I'm 31yrs old 5'10 205 just sold my atv and have a street riding backround ,but this will be my first dirtbike . I won't be doing any motocross or big jumps just trail riding and would like a reasonable priced bike .I was looking at the KLX and the KDX's and I also looked at the KTM 200. any thoughts would be great..I really don't no the diffence between the 2 KDX's. :cry:

Thanks Frank

The KDX200 has more of a top end punch while the KDX220 has more of a Lowend. At your weight I would consider the KDX 220. The KLX300 is said to be good at climbing snotty hills, but the dealer has said to me that the KDX is an all around better bike. I have a 85 KDX200 & as far as hills go, the only one it won't go up is a cliff. If your looking for a Four Stroke maybe look at the WR450. KTM is making an awsome bike now also :cry:

My KLX 300 is my first dirt bike and I think it was a very wise purchase. Very manageable power. Climbs great, lots of low end grunt, and plenty of naughty power at WOT.

I have a KLX 300, and am quite happy with it. It is an excellent trail bike, and has the most smooth-pulling powerband of any small thumper I have been on. Pulls nicely right from idle to wide open. I weigh right at 200#, and the stock fork springs were a little light, but the suspension action was good. Makes good power once you do the 'free' power mods (they just take a little time to do).

The KDX bikes seem to have happy owners, as well, but I have very little experience with them.

thanks for the reponses,,I'm going to try to go out this weekend and go check out some bikes.

Thanks Frank

Just another opinion-

I had a 20 year lay off from riding motorized bikes in the woods. I test rode the KLX 300 and a KTM 300. I went with the KLX. The KTM was too strong a motor for me for my first bike back. From talking to folks on forums and the dealer he advised to go with the KLX or a KTM 200e. I still have not riden the KTM200e but everybody loves them for the type of riding I do - tight North East trails. There may be one in my future, but for now the smooth strong KLX 300 is fine.

The KTM200 is not for beginers. IMO. It's more of a race bike. Tight, fast, and will punish you if you ride it slow. Get the KLX or the KDX. The KDX will start easier so you might like that better. I have a KLX for sale, I'm in CT. PM me if interested. Has many upgrades including revalved and resprung, ACR mod. More...

FrankT

Did you find the bike this weekend ? - If not, here's my opinion - For trail riding I'd prefer the KLX - I have the KLX400 - It rides nice on the trails - especially on the rocky stuff - it doesn't complain when I ride it slow - like when I ride with my younger sons - But it has some balls if I need to get on it a bit - I'll probably open the box, rejet and mod the exhaust to gain a little more - but overall then bike is great. It's not an MX'r tho - My bro in law bought the KDX 220 - It has some balls from the get go - the thing moves well off the start - but doesn't want to ride slow - the bike is built to move -

The other thing - the KLX400 is a 4 stroke - just put some gas in it and go - the KDX220 is a 2 stroke - mixing the gas and oil - for some it's great - I personally prefer 4 strokes. Now - if you were into racing MX = two strokers are built for speed. PS - where are you riding in Pennsy ?

Do you think the 400 is too heavy for woods riding alandchris,because I thought about that bike?? hopefully this weekend go find some dealers...

Thanks Frank

I love the KLx300. Power is always there, great suspension (replace the front springs as they are too light if you jump anything) easy to start using the directions hot or cold. Never runs hot.

I really like my kdx's. Best bang for the buck by far in my opinion. 200 or 220, price would make the choice for me between the two. I added a pipe and sil. and stiffer fork springs. I ran mine w/friends 250 t.s. and they couldn't get away from me except on two tracks. My dad at 64 yrs. old loved his too. They will putt all day or rip it up as much as you want. I had a 96' I made the mistake of trading last year and it was still on the orig. piston and rings. Never had to touch either of the two kdx's I had. I don't have any experience w/klx's I am just comparing to the yzf and xr's I have had. The ktm is more of a race bike compared to the kdx. Good luck.

It's a little on the heavy side - but not too much - in really tight, complicated woods it's a bit "weighty" - but for an all around bike I like it - I would just open the exhaust/air box and reject for a bit more punch. I like it because I'm over 6 foot tall and somewhere around 235 lbs - I wanted a bigger engine but stay in a 4 stroke for low maintenance - I'm not out to race - I'm all about having some fun - The KLX 300 is nice too - I considered that but I got a real steal for the 400. My bro-in-law bought the KDX220 at the same time I got the KLX400 - He's into ripping around a little more than me - and likes 2 strokes - it's got way more low end power - which in my opinion is too much for the type of riding I like (especially with my kids who ride slow - they're young and new) - but I'm sure you can get used to the KDX power band. As long as your not racing then either bike is fine - Did I mention the KLX400 has electric start - wow that is great - the KDX220 has kick.

I'd just like to chime in on the Klx 300 to KTM 300 discussion. I recently upgraded from the KLX to the KTM and found the the power was as smooth as my KLX and was really fun to short shift. I always had to ride my KLX at higher rpms to get it to perform. The KTM suspension is far superior to the KLX and I found that I was much faster and less fatigued on the KTM. If you are worried about too much power, don't be. You just don't need to rev it high to get around on this bike. You can if you want to though!!!!!

Gary

I agree with the KTM viewpoint - I would have loved to get an upgrade - ie better bike - but the $'s for the KLX - I couldn't beat it

thanks,,, ktms are nice bikes but alittle pricey , just curious on some of these bike why don't they come with warrenties..

Thanks Frank