Sign in to follow this  

tranny bolt

should this bolt be taken down to full spec? i would hate to snap i off. :cry:

I only torque mine to 10ft/lbs. I've been using this torque spec since I got my 02 CRF450. When the 450 came out the specs were 20 ft/lbs and guys were stripping the threads out of the case.

I've been using the "feel" method and haven't had any problems.

That's all I have ever used....never broken a thread or bolt in the engine, at least on a Honda :cry:

yes the feel method is great ,---snug with a small wrench is rite at 10 lbs for my hand and feel method ,----the book speck on alot of these small bolts should be taken with a grain of salt,---------most guys rarely ever use a torque wrench on small stuff------now when you get to large stuff when your strength is a problem and you are trying to get the perfact bolt stretch on something critical i.e. diesel head bolts----you go to 120 ft lbs and then you mark the bolt and go 1/4 turn more with new bolts ,------your after the bolt stretch -----once you get that feel in your arm you can do all the small stuff without a problem-----and as the bolt gets stretched several times it changes on what torque it takes to get it there,---not to mention is the gasket new or is it smashed and is the bolt kleen or lubed and so on and so forth,---thats why so many mew wrench benders screw up their new bike because they don't understand whats really going on with correctly tighten a bolt and how to really use a torque wrench and why !!!

Oh yeah kelstr, on the Toyota V6 heads, we have to torque to 90 ft/lbs first, then you mark it, go 90 degrees in one pass around, then ANOTHER 90 degrees....those guys get a long cheater pipe to do the final pull, it is ALOT of torque... :cry: