Sign in to follow this  

Need help extra money KX500 should I

You guys have never steared me wrong and I need your advice .I have an o3 klx 400sr that I ride on the street and I just cant bring myself to thrash this gem around off road .I have an oportunity to get a 1987 kx500 for $1000 I figure I can thrash around off road with the kx500 and keep my klx for playing on the street :cry: Do you think the kx500 is a good strong reliable bike???? Are there any other reliable bikes that I should consider I have about $1300 to spend

I would say if it's in good condition go for it! Check the coolant and trans oil.I know old CR's that sat for a long time the coolant would eat up the cases and leak into the tranny.If it need a lot of work ,then stuff starts adding up fast.Good luck :cry:

Kx 500 are awesome old world 2 stroke but 1000 for a 87 seems high unless its in great shape. You should be able to get a mid 90's one for under 1500.

Be sure to check out the rear shock very closly! I had a 86 KX500 and rode it for years but the rear shock was the downfall of the machine! It had a rocker arm set up that was prone to shock failure. I never could find a shock for mine cause evryone that was made went bad. I ended fabricating different brackets and using a CR250 shock. I think the 87 was the first year of the linkage system ???? Not sure when they started putting the power valves in them either? Mine had the old style boost bottle and I think power valves came into play around 88 or 89. In any case the mid 90's 500's where far better cause they had all the bugs worked out by then! Man what a hill climbing beast that was! :cry:

What kind of off road thrashing are we talking about here? That bike would be fine for desert/dunes/open areas but I'd hate to ride it on a tight muddy singletrack.

Sure it's a reliable bike. If Kawasaki hadn't pulled sponsorship it would be beating the hell out of the XR650R's like they still can. Kawasaki got out of offroad racing so the big name riders went red. That don't mean the bike got slow. It's a dated looking thing, but it's powerful as all get out. I think it's a bit more complicated than necessary with a power valve on it. 500 open class two strokes don't need them really. They are touchy to jetting, but will run even when pinging. They don't suffer novices and have broken up many a person that aren't up to the power they make. Cr 500's are the same way. I recomend them for riders of lots of experience and don't panic with that throttle hand. They can be a blast or a quick trip to the emergency room. The difference is in the rider, if your up to it they are a blast to ride, if not they are a nighmare. prairiedawg :cry:

The other thing to consider when looking at a bike that old is that all the normal wear items usually need to be replaced along with cables/lines/hoses. Suspensions are usually in need of help as well. All of these add up quickly.

I think I'd look for a newer bike personally, of course I ride a 1990 bike myself but have kept up on all of the little things. I still ask myself everytime I order why I do it but at least most everything is still in use on a current bike so I don't have any problems finding parts.

The old bikes are usually the one's that need to be babied. For a grand though I'd check it out and see if it needs work, or has too much wear. Could be a money pit that you'll never get your money back out of on a resale. Most used bikes I've looked at were not taken care of very well. Just abused and passed on. If it was me, I'd just romp the KLX off road and get it over with. Add that 1300 bucks into the kitty for your next new bike.

make sure you take of the stator cover (left side) and check if there's play in the crank. If there is it's an expensive fix. I had 90 cr125 and it had play, it was going to be expensive to fix so i got rid of it. It could be nearly 1000 to fix!

Well I went to look at the kx 500 today and it was pretty much junk besides I couldnt even get it started .So instead I went to a small shop nearby and picked up a 1999 kx250 for $2,300 out the door its in super nice shape still has plenty of meat left on the original tires Im a happy boy :) besides my klx 400 needed some company :)

It was an impulse buy but I know the owner of the shop .I have been looking at the bike for about 6 months but didnt have the cash and he wanted 2,795 :) I called him yestreday and ask him what would he sell it to me for He said 2,300 out the door I feel like that was a fair price .Do you guys think $2,300 was ok ?

Well, 2300 is less than the retail but more than the trade in. From a dealer, if it's in great shape and not beat, still with the original tires, sounds like an OK deal. I still would have just taken the klx off road. It's always nice to have mulitple bikes though.

good choice. Not a bad price. That KX 500 would have been brutal! If youre not REALLY experienced, that bike would have ate you alive. There arent too many bikes that can hurt ya faster than a KX or CR 500.

What? This is against the dirt bike/off road creed. Please promptly sell both your bikes to a better home. :)

You guys have never steared me wrong and I need your advice .I have an o3 klx 400sr that I ride on the street and I just cant bring myself to thrash this gem around off road .I have an oportunity to get a 1987 kx500 for $1000 I figure I can thrash around off road with the kx500 and keep my klx for playing on the street :) Do you think the kx500 is a good strong reliable bike???? Are there any other reliable bikes that I should consider I have about $1300 to spend