Sign in to follow this  

Vermont Reg - Current info?

(Sorry for the long post but please read)

Ok, Im stuck, in the past I've street plated a XR600R, YZ400F, and even a CR250R here in California. Now that CA :cry: doesn't do it anymore Im looking elsewhere. Ive always heard about the Vermont thing, and I've Read it all, there is lots of info even on this board on the Vermont registration. It appears people are still doing it, up to even a month ago. But I have never found a definitive explanation of the exact details involved. Can someone please explain the following;

1. First off the 300cc barrier

Is it that VT will not give you a title? Or they do not require a title for under 300cc bikes. 4strokesonly's page is a bit confusing ( http://4strokesonly.com/VT.html ) it says;

>If your bike is 299cc or smaller you can do this(get a lic plate), and you do >not need to send vermont your owner ship title. Sounds funny just try it >and find out.

>After you receive your state of Vermont Motorcycle license plate and new >title in the mail over 300cc machines.

Ok... what? Go to the 4strokes only link above and explain this one to me? Is there a benefit either way? Sending in a xr250 and say that the cc size is 301?

2. "OFF-ROAD ONLY" or "NOT FOR STREET USE" (on original title/reg)

How have you guys been getting around this? Besides having a Canadian model, that seems not to have this writing on the MOS/Title or whatever we want to call it. Every bike I've ever owned has had this on the title and registration. Seems that you can't send them a copy, (that could nicely have that sentence not on there), they want the original.

I am not really interested in calling the VT dmv and let them know what we are STILL all up to. On there Registration page it gives the definition of a resident;

A "Resident" is any legal resident of this state and any person who accepts employment or engages in a trade, profession or occupation in this state for a period of at least six months (except a person who lives in another state and who returns to that state on a regular basis ---not less than weekly).

I.E. I live in California but return to VT on a weekly basis! Sure I do... every week!

Again there have been numerous threads here, but none with a detailed way of doing it especially from CA, everyone just says, "Just got my plates, it works." But for every 2 of those posts theres another post. "They said my Title says 'for off road use only' and denied me my plates what do I do?"

Details please, or a link to complete details

:cry:

How would you get Insurance on a bike registered in Vermont, if you live in Cali??

to register in VT (even CA for that matter) you are not required to show insurance. You can register in VT and in a couple weeks transfer it into CA. Go to AAA and you do not need to show insurance (or even have it at that time).

How would you get Insurance on a bike registered in Vermont, if you live in Cali??

A company called Progressive insured my Vermont Reg'd WR450 here in CA.

No problem at all.

I am just wondering what you say to the officer when he pulls you over and sees you have vermont plates and a california license? Just not sure this would work. Also if you have it registered under someone elses name and say you are borrowing it how do you insure it under your name in california?

There have been several variations to use. When you register in VT, leave your middle initial off the registration. Tell them it is your fathers bike and he is in town from VT. He is letting you borrow it. Easiest thing to do is register it there and then bring it back into CA. It is not difficult at all, AAA can do it for you.