01 650r Holdover Price!!!

After reading everything I could find on the XR650R and the DRZ400E, I decided to go with the 650. No replacement for displacement, right. Anyhow if anybody is interested ProcycleUSA in Columbia MO and Springfield MO has a brand new 2001 holdover XR650R with warranty for $2999 otd. They had two but I put a deposit on the other one yesterday. They also have 02's for $3499 and 03's for $3999. They have to pick mine up in Springfield and haul it to Columbia today, should be there around 2:00. To bad theres snow on the ground here, so I won't be able to really test her out today.

That's a smok'n deal ? I bought my 2001 as a brand new left over with full warranty a couple years back for $3,450 OTD + shipping. The dealer charged me $125 for shipping / crating from CO to CA and I picked it up at a terminal about ~25 miles from my house. I had to pay CA sales tax and have it inspected by the CA DMV, but it was still a killer deal compared to all the local dealer quotes I received. You did very wll at $2999 ?

Make sure to check out www.xr650r.us for some excellent 650r info ?

Make sure to check out www.xr650r.us for some excellent 650r info ?

I've read the whole site twice now. I joined the yahoo group and read everything at xr650.net too. Taking a parts list with me to order the stuff to uncork it. It's about an hour and a half to Columbia, so I'm gonna hit the shower and head down and pick it up. I'll let you know what I think after I take a ride down the road. No offroading today with the snow on the ground.

That is a great deal. I have a dumb question though. Last summer when shopping for my BRP, I had a chance to buy a 02 for a couple hundred less than a 03. (this was in August of 04) I bought the 03 because I was concerned about how long the 02 had been sitting, as far as the seals and other parts that have been sitting for approximately 3 years, in your case approximately 4 years. So, upon buying a brand new bike that has been sitting for 3 or 4 years, is there anything you do differently then a brand new bike that was built within a year or two of purchase?

Well first off my apology to the North Dakota TT'er who tried to get in on one of the 01 holdover's. If he reads this he will know who he is. I had the salesman call you back.

I get to procycleusa today and the salesmen tells me they have it at there warehouse servicing it and putting it together. He babbles on how they leave them in a crate until they sale them. I double check about the factory warranty and he says of course. He then mentions to me that a guy from North Dakota had read about the price of the 01's on some internet forum and had put a deposit on the other one and was gonna head down saturday and pick it up. I asked him if it was thumpertalk and he said thats what the guy said. I'm thinking it's a small world after all and maybe I can cut a better deal since I helped sale another one. We make small talk for a while and then me and my buddy go outside to wait for it. Finally a guy comes around the corner pushing a freshly washed but extremely abused XR650. I don't even bother looking at it. The guy comes back pushing another freshly washed but extremely abused XR650. By now I'm starting to think oh no. The salesman comes out and looks at the bikes and has a real strange look on his face. So I figure I might as well get it over with and ask. Sure enough those are the brand new 2001 XR650's I drove 90 miles to pick up. Well I'm not paying $2999 for a $1200 dollar bike. My buddy gives it to the salesman and tells him we want the bike you advertised not one of those clunkers, so get on the phone and call who you have to and make this right.

He gets the sales manager who tells us there new bikes since they've never been sold and titled. Turns out they were used for photo shoots and demo work and then bought from Honda at a discount. These things looked like they had been through every baja since 2001 and never cleaned up. On one bike both rims were dented and missing spokes. The headlight shell was there, no light assembly. The rear brake lens was there, no light assembly. The trip meter and handguards were missing. The headerpipe shield was missing. The chain and sprockets were worn out and it had an aftermarket rear sprocket. How many miles had this new bike done. The levers were both cheap aftermarket units. They put new fenders on both ends and new radiator shrouds. Had a new rear tire and the front was 60%. All that at a quick lookover.

The sales manager says he's got a new 02 he can show us. Of course we say sure. They finally bring it out and it's a fricken demo. It's all there and in excellent shape though. Looked like it had been laid down on it's right side once and left some scrathes on it. Didn't have any boot wear on the cases either. Still it's not a new bike either and they then tell me they want $3499 for it. I went there to spend $2999 on a new bike and thats all I aim to spend. The sales manager won't budge so my buddy says get the store manager. The store manager goes through the thats a new 2001 XR650 and thats a new 2002 XR650 by Missouri law no matter what you guys think and those prices are final. By now I'm starting to feel like I'm being called a dumbass without the guy actually saying so. We tell them there isn't a person in the world that would call those 01's brand new, and his only comment is well they are. We argue a little more and he finally says you guy's are wasting our time. I said were wasting your time give me back my deposit and were out of here. His final comment is well you won't find one cheaper. Needless to say we got our money and left.

There was more conversation then what I typed, but thats it in a nutshell. The worse thing is they have real competetive prices on there real new stuff, but I won't ever step foot in there again. Anybody from Missouri thats looking for any kind of Suzuki, Honda or Yamaha I would stay away from procycleusa in Columbia or Springfield.

That's horrible the way they mislead you. Contact and report them to the following orginazations...

Your Attorney General Consumer Protection Office

http://www.naag.org

The Better Business Bureau

http://www.bbb.org

The Department of Consumer Protection

http://www.ct.gov/dcp/site/default.asp

The Federal Trade Commission

http://www.ftc.gov/

Find out who they advertise with and send letters to their advertisers about your experience.

Turn your car into a mobil banner advertisement about your experiences with them.

That seemed like a little too good of a deal if you ask me. If they are offering the normal waranty and the bike is really new then it would seem that there would only be a small amount of difference between 02, 03, or 01 bikes.

That's horrible the way they mislead you. Contact and report them to the following orginazations...

Your Attorney General Consumer Protection Office

http://www.naag.org

The Better Business Bureau

http://www.bbb.org

The Department of Consumer Protection

http://www.ct.gov/dcp/site/default.asp

The Federal Trade Commission

http://www.ftc.gov/

Find out who they advertise with and send letters to their advertisers about your experience.

Turn your car into a mobil banner advertisement about your experiences with them.

I agree completely....... call all agencies and get these crooks turned in. It wont take too much time. If you wont then they will continue their bullshit practices.

I checked the better business bureau and there have been 7 cases filed against them. Four have been settled. I talked to one of our local dealers and after going through the good natured poke in the ribs from him and his mechanics he gave me a number for a lawyer who is working on some kind of litigation against procycleusa already. I guess there practices are common knowledge to the local dealers up here. Wish they would have told me ahead of time. I will post an update next week after I talk to this lawyer.

I really hate lawyers, but I really hate being called a dumbass by a punk store manger.

Mtchristman,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Don't feel like a dummy for it though. Those guys are just some serious @$$es. Where in Mo. are you? I grew up in southern Iowa, and if you had to travel south to get to Columbia, you might be near my home area. I went to school in Rolla, so I traveled up hwy 63 a lot.

I know this is more than you want to spend, but there is an '03 (brand new, I saw it) at Owen Motor Sports in Charleston Illinois for $4499 plus tax and title. I know that still sounds a little high, but that was the first price he shot me (his name is Dave). They might go lower, but I have a nice 2000 650R I plan on keeping for 20 years, give or take a few. I was just checking for curiosity. Keep your eyes open. You might still find a good deal. I got mine on e-bay after watching for about six months. Look for right side case wear in the pictures. If there is little or none, the bike has probably been ridden very little, or very easy.

Good luck,

Winkel

It's me, the guy from ND that almost drove all the way down to MO. I talked to a salesman in Columbia, and he confirmed that the two 2001s were brand new holdovers. They couldn't figure out which store they were at. After talking to both shops twice each, they decided that both bikes were on there way to Columbia. He said he had a deposit on one and that the guy was going to pick it up the next day. Everything sounded pretty good so I put down a deposit on the other one. They said they wouldn't ship, and that they didn't want to store it for me for more than a couple of weeks. So I said that I would drive down immediately to hopefully get it by closing on saturday. He says I will have to fax you a contract first, have you sign it and fax it back. I told him that I wanted to get on the road and asked him how long this contract would take to go through. He said an hour or so. I asked him if there was any way he could speed up the process so that I could take off as soon as possible. He said he would give it to the sales manager right away. This was about 2:30 on Friday.

To kill time I got the truck ready, aired up the tires, fueled it up, packed some clothes and got some food for the trip. Even brought along a couple of pee bottles like the truckers do so that I would only have to stop for gas on the trip. I went to where I work to get the fax. By this time it is 3:45 and the place I was at closes at 4:00 and didn't want me hanging around the place after closing because I just started working there. So I call the salesman back and ask him what was going on. He said they got the bikes in and washed them up. I asked him again are these really new bikes and he said yes. I asked him how they looked, if they had any scratches etc. after sitting around for 3 or 4 years.

Then he reluctantly starts muttering something about the bikes being demos, and I'm thinking, ok they were ridden a few times, If they are in nice shape I might still head down there. Then he starts mumbling again that they have had different plastic put on them, aftermarket stuff, gas tank, some stickers, and that they don't look exactly like a new model does. Then he says they were factory test bikes. I'm thinking to myself, bigger gas tank hugh,,,, sounds to me like these are the bikes that they run the living crap out of for days that you always read about in the magazine reviews. At this point my heart sank and I told him that I wasn't going to drive all the way down there for somethink like this. I was nice to them and they said they would reimburse my credit card for the deposit. Hopefully I will see it.

I am darn lucky they finally fessed up before I hit the road. There would have been hell to pay, seriously, like suing them If I would have drove all the way down there for their missleading deal.

To the other poor guy who started this post; I have no ill feelings toward you at all. I am still glad you mentioned the deal. How we're you to know? They fed me that same bs. If this deal would have turned out, I would be sending you a thank you message. I was wondering how it was going to turn out for you, and then a buddy told me about your post about the deal going sour. They didn't call me back like they told you they would or did, but I had already found out what was going on from another salesman. This is what these forums are for, sharing info about good deals and about bad vendors. Better luck next time I guess.

Great Deal! - As Quadsan says, check out all the relavent lituarature. Especially the part about changing the 01' clutch bushing for a 02' or later. It's a simple procedure that will prevent the bushing from siezing to the clutch basket or worse- the crankshaft- ? . Do it now before the pig even see''s the dirt. It happened to me.

Paul

• 1 year later...