Sign in to follow this  

Cam shimming

I installed my new E cams. Do I need to start it up and let it run and then measure the tappet clearances, or do I just bolt it in and measure then. Right now the exhaust side has a 318 and a 315 shim, and they both have a .007 clearance. The intake side has a 280 with .006 and a 282 with .004.

rotate the motor over a few times by hand

Always turn over by hand after doing anything with the cams/valves, I usually do several full rotations before measuring. I listen and feel for anything unusual during this time.

I turned it over by hand a few times, and they did change a little. The exhaust is a 318 with .008 and a 315 with .007. The intake is a 282 with .005 and a 280 with .006. Should I ride it like this for a day and then check it again, or do I need to even things up first?

I was hoping to get some shims before everything closes if I need them. So should I ride it like it is and then check after a ride, or re shim now?

I'm looking to buy the hotcam setup for the intake, and exhaust. I am not sure if I will need to buy an entire shim set online (what a ripoff! found it for 90 bucks so far). Where did you guys get shims, and what quantity did you have to buy them in?