Sign in to follow this  

cali DMV, green/red sticker woes

I just moved to nor-cal from Ky. I checked before I moved out here to be sure that my 2001 drz-e was a "green sticker" bike. I went to the DMV to try to register it and they said it was missing some sort of epa sticker and I would have to get it inspected at the CHP. I scheduled an appointment with the CHP and had the bike inspected. The officer said everything checked out on the bike and also told me from the paperwork the DMV supplied, that they were trying to issue me a "red sticker". The officer was very helpful (he mentioned he had a crf) and he gave me the DMV printout that stated any vehicle model year "2003 and newer" with a 3 or a C in the eighth position of the vin was red sticker. He said my bike should be issued a green sticker which is what I had been told when I inquired on TT before I had moved. I went back to the DMV to register the bike again and this time they said that they were issuing me a red sticker. I showed them the info the officer had given me and the DMV guy just acted oblivious. He said they just put in the vin and it gives me the correct sticker. I asked to speak with a manager and she stated that they would sent my title etc. in to the DMV office and they would issue me the "correct" sticker. I paid my fees and a couple of weeks went by and I checked my mail yesterday and my OHV registration was in there with a %#$&! red sticker! After like 3 visits to the DMV office I am completely frustrated. Nobody there knows $#@% about ohv registration other than how to take money! I don't know what to do at this point. Does anybody have a number for somebody I could contact regarding this? Sorry about the rant, I just figured somebody on here might have been through this and might have some insight. Thanks in advance. :cry:

first, out of curiosity, where in Northern CA are you?

Second, maybe you should sell the bike and get a new one which will for sure be Green sticker. My guess as to what is happening is that the CA model of the E comes with the same carb as the S model and the out of state ones use the FCR. That is probably why you are getting the red sticker. There will be no changing that or even getting a liscence plate. Basically if I am right either forget it and live with the red sticker, ro swap for a CA model. I have many friends who ride year round with the red sticker bikes even though the park rules say no they do not really enforce them too much, now the spark aresstor, that is another issue, they check those daily.

If its older then an 03 you should have a green sticker. There should be no question about it. The CHP officer gave you the paperwork to prove it. I would maybe try another DMV. Even with the FCR or whatever it has on it, it should have a green sticker. If they won't give you one, I would keep the printout that the CHP gave you and ride it where ever you want.

Pre-2003 models should definately be a green sticker! Unfortunately, it will be a hassle because you will have to go to the DMV and argue with the idiots there. :cry:

Best idea yet was try a different DMV station. You will be amazed at the different attitudes at each one,,,,and with each different employee.

If you get told no,,smile, politely say thanks,, and walk away,, try a different place,, or come back and try a different clerk.

Even if armed with proof, your position is right,, it means little,,,,to most of um,, They know what they know,, or have been told to do,, and nothing from an outside source is going to change their minds.. It will take a figure of authority from withen.. Now if you can convince THAT person,, you'll get what you want.. But in my experience,, it is so much easier to just go to another location,, then to argue with a closed minded clerk.

I read on another post here that you can get a plate for a dirt bike still by registering it as a custom vehicle - I'll see if I can find the thread again - that would fix your problem for sure...

I've dealt with CA DMV a lot on all sorts of registration issues, and Bronco is right - it totally depends on the person you are talking to. I'm hoping you won't have more of an issue now that a red sticker has already been issued.

Which DMV are you working with? I like the Auburn and Folsom offices here in Nor-Cal - I've had consistently good luck there...

I looked for that other post, but it must have been lost in the server crash yesterday. Bummer.

Here is how I remember it:

put the Baja Kit on the bike, add DOT tires, make sure spark arrestor is there and the noise isn't too loud (i.e. stock exhaust) and then take it down to the CHP for inspection as a custom vehicle. I'm not sure if you'll need a brake/lamp cert in CA or not. Once the CHP signs off on the "custom vehicle" just take the form down to the DMV and register your new custom bike.

Perhaps you can follow up with your CHP buddy that you were working with to make sure this method would be legit.

I have 2001 DRZ 400 K and it is green stickered. CA DMV is notorious for not knowing their head for their you know what. As much of a pain as it is go to a different DMV office and make an appointment so you don't have to wait in line.

The DMV originally listed the 2000,2001,2002 as red stickered bikes, but they had such confusion throughout their system that they amended the ruling to take effect for 2003 moving forward. Best of luck.

I have a 2001 I imported from West Virginia back 2002. It was issued a Red Sticker at first but when they grandfathered the old bikes in 2003, it went back to Green.

Bottom line: I have a 2001 DRZ400 with a Green Sticker.

www.joeracerproducts.com

He has the forms and general info on the special construction method of getting it plated in CA.

This is different however from a green sticker. If all you desire is a green sticker, the special construction is not what you need. All you need to do is visit different DMV offices until you get a knowledgable clerk. :cry: This may take a long time however, but be persistent.

Thanks for all the advise! I live in Sac and have been dealing with the Florin Rd. DMV. I made an appointment at the downtown location (Broadway) in 2 weeks. (soonest that was available) Hopefully I will be able to get this worked out. As far as trading it for a california model, that is not an option. I have spent time and $ getting it set up just the way I want it. I would lose my butt trying to trade it for a cal. model and would end up with a less capable machine. No way. As for trying to plate it, i'm not really interested in that either. It sounds like it would be a major PITA, i've got a street bike and I use the DRZ for off road use only. I guess my only option is to keep going back to the DMV until somebody knows what the hell they are doing.(this will be my 4th trip trying to register this bike) Thanks again for all the help. I will let you know how it goes.

Does california require a vehicle to be titled in their state in order to get registration tags?

If so, it would probably have been easier to get a new street legal title in kentucky, then use that title. My bet your bike had an offroad title and you just street legaled it for registration purposes.

Cali, is a mess though I've heard with the new sticker classes.

Thanks for all the advise! I live in Sac and have been dealing with the Florin Rd. DMV. I made an appointment at the downtown location (Broadway) in 2 weeks. (soonest that was available) Hopefully I will be able to get this worked out. As far as trading it for a california model, that is not an option. I have spent time and $ getting it set up just the way I want it. I would lose my butt trying to trade it for a cal. model and would end up with a less capable machine. No way. As for trying to plate it, i'm not really interested in that either. It sounds like it would be a major PITA, i've got a street bike and I use the DRZ for off road use only. I guess my only option is to keep going back to the DMV until somebody knows what the hell they are doing.(this will be my 4th trip trying to register this bike) Thanks again for all the help. I will let you know how it goes.

Keep your bike and get it worked out. The DMV is wrong. Hopefully you will get it straightened out at the other DMV. I ended up regestering my 04 E in Nevada. Now I have a plate. :):)

My 02 was red and when they changed the rules they sent me a green, you should be a green sticker :) I agree with bronco go to a different dmv and be real nice. :)

On my 5th trip to the cali DMV I have finally recieved my green sticker! :) It still amazes me how little the clerks at the DMV know about the rules of thier job. I went today and described the problem I was having and the clerk (very nice woman) told me the reason I got a red sticker instead of the green was because they change the color every year. :) I politely explained that due to the fact my bike was a 2001 I should recieve a green sticker. She went and took all my paperwork to a superior who indeed told her to issue a green. Thanks for all the advise. It just took alot of patience and persistance.