Sign in to follow this  

Broken Ti footpegs continued please read!!

2 weeks ago I was riding indoors on my 04 250f when my buddy noticed that a section of my right foot peg was broken. :cry: I only have approx. 15hrs on this bike and no major crashes. It has only been laid over twice and it was on the left side. Upon inspection of the two exposed ends of metal, it is easy to tell that the titanium is extremely porous. It appears that there was contamination in the metal during the casting/molding process. This is just my observation....I am not an expert. I was wondering if any one is familiar with the manufacturing process or just metallurgy in general? Would someone happen to know what a cross-section of properly molded titanium should look like? I searched this forum and noticed that several people wanted pictures and as soon as I get home this evening I will post some. Did anyone have any luck getting this taken care of through Yamaha?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

TO

Most of the serious offroad racers replace the Ti footpegs with SS replacements. Better to have one bend than shatter out in the desert.

Later

Eric

Thanks for the info. I'm still working on getting the picture posted. Should be in a few hours.

I've suffered quite a few gnarly getoffs on my '04 YZ250F and have only had problems with bent levers and plastic. My titanium footpegs are holding up great.

same here buddy.

There were quite a few reports of broken ti pegs about a year ago with the 04 models. I haven't been on the forum lately because I don't like the new style, so I don't know the most recent post about them.