Sign in to follow this  

any ideas would be great

I have a 04 CRF 450 I have tried and tried to get the carburetor adjusted right. It runs great every where but if its idling and you wick the throttle or when exiting a corner then it hesitates then rips, If any one has any advise let me know. It has stock jetting and the main elev. I ride is around 3600 ft. thanks :cry:

Try adjusting the fuel screw (on the bottom of the float bowl) outwards and compare. Keep the idle speed slightly high and make sure the accelerator pump is squirting fuel.

Your next step would be to try moving the needle clip position, #3 or #4 are most likely on the stock needle.

James

Thanks I have tried the screw both directions and nothing. I havent messed with the idle but i did clean the diaphram in the A/P, and the needle is on the 4th clip. thanks for the help. :cry:

That is the exact same problem my 04 has and I have tried everything to solve it.

List of everything I have done

New Plug

Checked the Valves

Cleaned the Carb, Jets, Diaphragm

Adjusted the Fuel Screw

Bought a JD kit.

Even with the JD kit installed it still hesitates of idle. If you give the bike a little gas and crack the throttle it is fine.

I ride mostly at sea level to 2000 ft. above. I usually ride in 50F weather and up. I installed the Red needle in the 5th position and a 178 Main Jet. When I first tried it was popping on decel. Once I adjusted the airscrew that took care of the problem. But it still hesitates of idle and I'm not sure what to do. I also wonder how one can tell if you feel like the bike is surging for more gas. I would still like to know what the problem is with or without the JD kit. It ran fine when I bought it (new) and all of a sudden it runs like crap.

:cry:

Mine ran fine when it was new too, I ride at about 3600 ft. and it is cold in the winter and hotter than hell in the summer but I usually go rafting instead till it cools off. but I would like to try to solve the problem its mainly when you come out of a corner hot on the throttle. but I'll keep trying, thanks