Sign in to follow this  

Probably a stupid question but....

I just have to ask anyways. I took the chain off of my bike yestrday to clean it. It's a D.I.D. chain that came stock with my TT-R 250. When I went to put it back on I couldn't get the master-link back together with those little O-rings installed...they made the link too thick to get the clip back on, so I left them off and clipped the chain back together. Is it imparitive that those little rubber dounuts are in the master-link? or is it O.K. to leave them off. I can't figure out how to compress the master-link enough to get all the hardware back on. It's just a peace-of-mind thing. Thanks Guys

When I had my ttr250 I ran into the same problem. I used 2 needle nose vise grips and that always popped them back on. As far as riding without the rings....I wouldnt. Who the @#$% knows what could happen when your really on it.

The amount of slop in the chain created by the gaps left where the o-rings go could allow the chain to do unknown carnage. I'd put 'em in. I personally don't run o-ring chains.

I would install the o rings for sure, use a set of needle nose or plyers to sandwich everything together positioning the plyers in the center of the masterlink and get the clip as far on as you can before clamping down, don't squeeze to tight just use enough pressure to compress the masterlink enough to get the clip on, keep pressure on the plyers then with a flat tip screwdriver in the other hand push the clip on. This works for me, takes a little practice though. There is probably a better way to do this but this has always worked for me. Is this explanation to much? :)