Sign in to follow this  

Studded Tires

I was thinking about studding the tires for my xr 400 so i can ride on a frozen river. I was just wondering what is the cheapest and best way to stud the tires? I really doont want to pay $500 for a set of tires that are already studded.

if you set your tires for ice you should stay on ice all the time, in other words stay off the garage floor , stay off the gravel stay off roads perion, these screws should never come in contact with anything but ice or wood or rubber.

ice screws are extremely sharp and permit you to have more traction on ice than you would ever get on pavement, BUT on problem they do not tolerate any abbrasifs .

As an example if you took a spin on the lake with new studs then rode in the bush and went back on the lake , you'de find a serious loss of traction the screws would get chewed up pretty bad.

If you want to play around on the lake with so so traction and have the possibility to trash around in the bush go with carbide car studs in the rear and 1/2 or 5/8" holiday racing screws in the front.

What is it you want to do?

stu

One of the magazines has a short article on this topic (MX Rider I think) this month. It claims studded tires are $400 + or -. You can get separate studs and "drive" them into existing knobbies for much less and you can try it out first this way without a big investment.