Sign in to follow this  

clutch

what kind of luck have you guys had with the oem clutch basket and hub for an XR4oo?

i weigh 26o lbs now, but i am cutting weight to hopefully get down to 2oo lbs or so, which should help on abnormal clutch wear.

i have totally worn out these parts on my YZ125 and am concerned that this will start on the XR (probably wont be an issue for another few years).

what do you guys think?

i dont think you can abuse the clutch on the 400 as you could on the yz125, , firstly you dont have to rev the pants off of it and slip the clutch to get moving, the xr has tons of torque which you dont have on the yz.

Unless you abuse the clutch are forever pulling the cluctc in and reving and dropping the clutch i cant see this being an issue.

if your clutch operates smoothly right now and does not chatter as you let the clutch out, odds are the basket is fine.

later if you find the basket is scored , you can file it and smooth it out with 600 grit sandpaper ,

stu

i think your right, clutch wear is greatly reduced on the XR4oo, but both the clutch design and operation remain the same in all metric dirtbikes....some wear IS going to occur, its built into the design. XRs are known to oultlive cockroaches and walmart, so over the years, the basket is going to wear...i just want to know how many years.

also, i noticed the SL100 in your sig. what year is it? i grew up on a 73 SL70. it was the best bike ever built!