Sign in to follow this  

I knew it would be earth shattering news........but

I didnt think me going orange would kill the posts for a day here on Thumpertalk! :cry:

Keithco . . . How could you?? Red has been a good color hasn't it? You've been hanging around Gil too much. Now your pocket book is going to hurt for awhile.

I'm jealous. Just don't tell me you picked up a big 'ol EXC. That would be too much for me to bear. :)

Well, it's a used 450 EXC. Low hours and plated. I'm bringing it in from another state. There's a couple hoops I have to jump thru, but Dale's doing most of the leg work for me working with the seller. I dont want to be too specific because the weasel that tried to buy my sons plated CRF 150 to resell at a profit is reading this post as well. It's close enough he'd go steal it from under me. There's always one ashhewl.

Anyway, I'm excited about a bike with new ergos, water cooled and electric start. I dont know if I'm selling my XR400 yet. It's for sale at a good price, except for the a-hole, lol. He'd have to pay double. :)

Well, it's a used 450 EXC. Low hours and plated. I'm bringing it in from another state. There's a couple hoops I have to jump thru, but Dale's doing most of the leg work for me working with the seller. I dont want to be too specific because the weasel that tried to buy my sons plated CRF 150 to resell at a profit is reading this post as well. It's close enough he'd go steal it from under me. There's always one ashhewl.

Anyway, I'm excited about a bike with new ergos, water cooled and electric start. I dont know if I'm selling my XR400 yet. It's for sale at a good price, except for the a-hole, lol. He'd have to pay double. :)

you will love it I have ridden my brother countless times and it is truelly a great bike. What year??

Hey Keithco, Let me know if there is anything special that you need to do when you go to get your plates. I am buying a plated one from New York and I am just getting worried (you know, Murphy's law) hopefully they won't say anything.

Kiethco,

Watch out for the imfamous 7000 mile limit! The state vehicle code prohibits one from "importing" vehicles with less than 7000 miles. The reason behind this is to exclude grey market stuff, but the result on motorcycles is pure hassle. How many dirt bikes have 7000 mi?

The part "B" of the import rule says something to the tune of -or has been in the possesion of a final owner for 2 years-, but most CA DMV folks don't realize that.

I bought an ATK with 800 miles on it from a guy in Nevada. Even tho it was 8 years old, I got a lot of hassle from the DMV (it was licensed in Nevada) including that I would have to forfeit the bike to be chopped up! Well they finally transferred the file to Sacremento and I had my plate in a month or so. Funny thing, the bike was originally bought in San Jose, CA but never registered here as the owner was in the process of retiring to the Reno area! :)

Hey Norm, do you have the webpage or any documents that state this so I can show it to the Dmv for WHEN they give me crap. I already knew about the 7000 miles thing and that will be taken care of. I have tried searching the DMV website and have been unable to find this info. Thanks, Jon

just remember, Keithco, ... now you wont have " Bold, New Graphics" to look forward to every model year !!

Kiethco,

I know I down-loaded reams of info. I'll try to find it tomorrow. I don't think it was the DMV site tho. :)

Kiethco,

Go to Google and search for "California Health and safety code" sections 43151 and 43156.

Section 43156(A) is the dreaded 7500 mile rule for defining a "new" vehicle. But, what is not known by most DMV folks is that 43156(:) also defines a "new" vehicle by its age! So, if a vehicle has 7500 miles OR is over 2 years old, it is not a "new" vehicle. But, Section 43151 © further states, that if the vehicle meets us emissions certification, the new rule is not evoked. In my case, the DMV in Sacremento asked for proof of delivery from the manufacturer to define the start of the 2 years. No problem from ATK! :)

Cheers,