Sign in to follow this  

High Compression Piston - Is it worth it?

Hey everyone,

I'm going to take down my motor this weekend to get a valve job and do the timing chain.

I am also considering a new piston/rings/gaskets while its torn down. My question to be resolved is whether a high compression piston is worth buying. Do these pistons have a high failure rate? Will it improve low end torque? I'm not interested in racing, but won't pass the opportunity to get more low end either.

I'm not interested in going to an overbore, but if I can get a noticable torque increase by installing a high-compression piston, rather than a stock one, then hey, why not? :cry:

Has anyone done this? Was it worth it? Also, do you have to use race gas w/ a high compression piston, stock cams, and no overbore setup?

Input please! Thanks.

Ram;

I'm assuming that you have a KLX300. The stock comp. ratio is already 11:1.

Going higher will increase the need for higer octane fuel. In the automotive world, they claim that an increase of one point in c/r only gives an increase of 3% in horsepower. Personally, I don't think that the small increase in hp is worth the problems with octane.

I just noticed that you are in Colorado. If you're riding at higher altitudes, you may not have to be as concerned about the c/r as those of us that ride in the low lands.

Ride on

Brewster

Brewster,

FYI, I spoke to one of the engineers at Kibblewhite. Some interesting stuff in that conversation. See my valve thread for that part of the conversation.

What's relavant to this conversation is that he felt that a high compression piston alone (w/out port work, oversized valves, race cam etc), isnt worth it.

Your were dead on Brewster. :cry: Thanks.

ram