Sign in to follow this  

No linkage eh?

I noticed that Ktms have no linkage. For those of you that have rode on a yammie or a Honda with linkage....can you tell any difference? Does the bike handle differently? Does having no linkage give you more travel on the rear shock?

having no linkage makes your bike lighter and simpler to maintain. it probably is a slightly different feel but i haven't ridden many japanese bikes with really dialed suspension, so i'm not sure i could tell. ktm achieves the same sort of progressive action with the valving and stuff. not sure what the travel is on on japanese bikes, but ktm's are over 13" in back, tho they do require a little more sag than linkage bikes, so it probably ends up being about the same.

by looking at the results of enduros and mx races, it seems clear that a non-linkage shock can perform just as well.

The KTMs don't have as much of a rising leverage ratio curve as the linkage bikes. The the leverage ratio curve is something like 11% on the `05 bikes, whereas I think it may be 18% - 20% on a CRF.

KTM used to ship with progressive rate springs to compensate, but they've caved in to the wishes of MX magazine writers who have said that the KTMs should be switched to straight rate springs. I disagree with them.

KTM doesn't actually compensate for the lack of linkage (a spring rate thing) through valving (a damping thing), but the valving does have a fairly progressive damping curve thought the use of two valving stacks that helps prevent bottoming out on high speed hits.

--Fillmore

Hi,

I ride both---KTM (no linkage!) and a Yamaha (linkage!)!

Compared to the Yamaha the KTM suspension hooks up a little better on acceleration bumps but is more nervous on braking bumps.

You have to set up the sag different on the KTM, but otherwise there is no big difference!

....just to mention, I prefer the straight spring over the progressive spring on the KTM, because it gives me a much better feedback from the suspension!!