Sign in to follow this  

I think I maybe hitting neutral rev limiter..

I have removed the grey wire, put a tach on, put a bash plate on, put fuel tank on, and now it seems that I am hitting rev limiter way to soon. What kinda of things should I be looking for that I might have done :cry: . The Mini-Tach I have confirms the reduced RPM( 6900ish), but I have been told some of these tachs are setup in 2 stroke mode and hence might be giving my false data. I disconnect the blue wire plug in an attempt to trouble shoot, and all it did was require me to start with the clutch in (as mentioned on the board here and as expected.)

Of coarse the bike is newer and I have not gone on many rides with it yet and I was woundering maybe with the grey wire out and the YZ fuel mapping....that it just getts to red line faster......I am not the most mechanical person alive :cry: .

Any ideas would be appreciated!

05 WR250F (throttle screw, snorkels, exhaust baffle out, grey wire removed)

Joe

In thinking about this problem, be aware that the neutral switch grounds the lead running into it when the bike is in neutral . So, if this lead is removed, the system will see the bike as never being in neutral. However, if the lead is shorted, or otherwise grounded, the system will see the bike as always in neutral and respond accordingly.

On the subject of tach setup, in the case of a YZF, the setting for a two-stroke single would give the correct rpm reading, since the ignition produces a spark on each revolution, just as a two-stroke would.

However, if the lead is shorted, or otherwise grounded, the system will see the bike as always in neutral and respond accordingly.

I'm thinking an errant tug or strand of wire in the connector while pulling the grey wire may cause this.

Possible, but all my manauls are for YZFs. They don't have a gray wire, so I can't tell where they pass each other or how close. If the neutral switch is still connected, and no attempt to modify it was made, it could even be possible that the switch itself is defective (stuck "on"). Disconnecting it could be an informative troubleshooting step.

Of course, the most likely cause of any problem that suddenly turns up after you work on the bike is the work that you did, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be something else.