Sign in to follow this  

where to ride? close to simi valley

i'm new, i live in simi valley. What trails are close to simi? maybe within one hr. drive or less

Sorry to say, but there are not a whole lot of legal riding options in Simi anymore. Even the illegal spots from the 80's and 90's are gone with homes over them. I've lived in Simi my whole life until recently and basically your only legal options are, Gorman (if you like head-ons with newbies), and the desert. The closest track is Piru. Simi is a dirt bike teaser, you live in a valley surrounded by hills yet you can't (legally) ride in them. I was doing the desert/ cal city drive almost every other weekend in the winter for the past five years. Having buddies that ride helps to cut down the miles on your own vehicle, but you are basically looking at some drive time to ride. If you do try to shoot up into the hills watch out for the cops on bikes, especially on the weekends. You may be able to ditch them, but they have been doing it for a while and you eventually need to get back to you vehicle and load up and that's where they get you. Hit up The Racer's Edge and find some guys to ride with, at least you will have some local knowledge with you if you go for the local hills. It's a pity really, the Simi hills used to have some fun terrain to ride in back in the day. Good luck and watch for cops!

I live in Moorpark, and I see people riding there all the time. I have not been up there yet, but have been tempted. Riding was good on Walnut canyon up until about six months ago, when they started construction for the new homes that they are building.

thanks for the help, has anyone been at the place rigth of khuner? in simi

i may go to rowher flats, but i work this sunday, maybe next time.

yea, anywhere in Simi/Moorpark is a bust. I've lived in Simi my whole life, used to ride the hills "back in the day", been chased a few times, got my first ticket back in '82 (ten years old :) ). Your closet legal place is Rowher Flats (Texas Cyn), then Gorman, or tracks like Piru, LACR, I5MX. However, if you're looking for good open trail/desert, you need to head out towards Mojave and hit up Cal City, Jawbone, Dove Springs, etc. Whats up CAlidogs?? Used to ride with calidogs all the time until he made an exodus to OR. Hey ellosdos, we might be heading to Cal CIty on Sunday (weather permitting) if you're interested.

Sure, anyone can go ride in the fields or hills, but it's still not "legal", you take a risk of being cited. Not worth it IMO. The desert is a ton o' fun right now, especially after all this rain, it's your best bet :) From Simi only about 1hr 45min. Heading out to Cal City tomorrow PM and all day Sunday, can't wait :)

i talked to a police officer and he said that there isn't anyplace in simi to ride legally.... that they do have an off-road team that patrols the hills and you can and most likely will get cited, unless its private property and you have permission.

They are building so much in the hills now that i think you would have a hard time getting there with out getting busted....

i use to ride all the hills as was said in another post "back in the day"

its just as easy to load up and go to rowher short drive legal riding... going to try and hit jawbone this weekend