Sign in to follow this  

250 (2stroke) question

ok, first off I would LOVE to have a 4 stroke, but I dont have enough money, and we all know bikes are expencive in cali. So I am planning on getting a 250. My question Is what bikes have you guys had good experiences with? Reliability? Engine power? Suspension? Probably stay within the 95-99 year range. I am moving up from a 1996 YZ125. I was having trouble finding a good 2 stroke forum; but I know many of you are previous 2 stroke owners so i thought I would ask. Thanks alot!!!

I seem to recall that around that time frame, Kawasaki's ruled the 250 2 stroke shootouts. Shortly after, Yamaha started their domination of that class's shootout.

I would bbe more concerned with how well it was taken care of than what the shootouts said though. Ergonomics play a big part in how good each bike feels to its respective rider. Find one that looks good and feels good, regardless of what brand it is.

I do remember one year of Suzukis that had the water pump cover built into the main engine cover. It was not its separate cover. This was corrected by Suzuki the next year.

Yamaha builds a very quick little two stroke, my last one was a screamer, my KX500 does not feel that much faster...likely because with my lightweight both bikes below 40 in the dirt are at the limits of the rear tires traction.

In that range the RM is a good bke too... sounds like you should pick a color and ride it, allthough I am partial to the RM and YZ...

If you can find someone that has some different makes and years see if they will let u take a ride. That way you won't buy a bike u don't like. I have been a RM person all my life until going 4 stroke this year. You will find that the RM's are a very quick bike but they do have some clutch basket problems. The eat the stock baskets rather quick but not so bad on the aftermarket baskets.

With the exception of the overly stiff frame of the 97-99 CR250, I can't think of any big 4 250MX bike that just sucked from the early/mid 90's on.

There are some issues, but most are easily fixed. Still, unless you're a top MX rider, I'd say that you won't use all the performance that even these "older" bikes offer.

Some of the older bikes can even be better for trail riding than the newer ones; at least in some ways. They have slightly larger tanks, heavier flywheels, softer suspension, milder engines, and my favorite- they're cheaper. :) Wadding up a 95 CR250 won't make you feal nearly as bad as wadding up a 05 CRF450.

For '95-'96 definately the Honda CR250, I used to ride one and damn, they are reliable as hell and great overall bike.

For '96-'99 try looking into a Yami YZ250, and consider the CR250 only as a backup if you don't run across a YZ.

My brother has a '96 YZ250. It's very reliable, but not as powerful as my YZ426. Still a good bike, though. :)

My brother has a '96 YZ250. It's very reliable, but not as powerful as my YZ426. Still a good bike, though. :)

Must be something wrong with it...likely due for a topend..they should all but run away from the 400 series yamahas except for outright topend speed.

One of my favorite 250's of all time is the 93 CR250. That bike is just plain awesome. The only Honda I will ever buy again. Other than that I tend to favor the Suzuki's.:thumbsup:

TT has the best 2 stroke forums. Plus, there's riders here (over the age of 15, lol) who grew up on smokers and still peek in the 2 stroke forums from time to time.

As far as the bike, 97/98 KX's ruled but needed some suspension tweaks from stock, in the year range you are looking there are many years that have interchangable parts. Pretty much from 94-02/03 alot of parts can be swapped or adapted to work and alot of parts are still available. Kawi used electroplating on the cylinders which wore out, if it was replatred with nikasil you'll be in good shape.

95-96 CR's were the hot bike. From what I remember the RM's weren't too good those years, lagging with outdated suspension.

ok, first off I would LOVE to have a 4 stroke, but I dont have enough money, and we all know bikes are expencive in cali. So I am planning on getting a 250. My question Is what bikes have you guys had good experiences with? Reliability? Engine power? Suspension? Probably stay within the 95-99 year range. I am moving up from a 1996 YZ125. I was having trouble finding a good 2 stroke forum; but I know many of you are previous 2 stroke owners so i thought I would ask. Thanks alot!!!

1995 - CR250 or RM250

1996 - CR250 or KX250

1997 - KX250

1998 - KX250

1999 - YZ250 or KX250

Pre-1999 YZ250's bone-stock engines are less comparable with those other Japanese-made.

The 1996 CR250 is McGrath's legendary bike and the last of the steel-frame. He loves that bike more than the '97 and '98 first alum-frames that came after.

If you want the better bike later on those years, then your BEST CHOICE is the YZ250, from 2000 to current year models, and probably, beyond.... The RM250's 2004 to 2006 models are also very good.

Probably stay within the 95-99 year range.

Why? I would think parts would be easier to find on a later model bike. I see 2004-2006 bikes selling for $2000-3000 all the time.

I think all the brands are made to similar quality and durability. It just matters if you get one that has been abused or not.

The 1996 CR250 is McGrath's legendary bike and the last of the steel-frame. He loves that bike more than the '97 and '98 first alum-frames that came after.

McGrath actually rode his 93 until they changed to aluminum frames, he did not like the 94-96 as much as the 93:thumbsup:

McGrath actually rode his 93 until they changed to aluminum frames, he did not like the 94-96 as much as the 93:thumbsup:

Oh yes, that is well known that he loves his '93.... i'm just addressing the year range of the original poser that's why i didn't mention it anymore.

Isn't this his '96 CR250, on the other hand?

141071259zdirtrider25ye.jpg

i think a yz250 would be best for you. I had one and it preformed pretty well. I had no problems i didnt have to repair anything when i drop it. It is a pretty great bike.I would really look into buying a 2000 though that's what i had and it was just great.