Sign in to follow this  

05 bike weights... fact of fiction?

i have been looking into getting my wife either the TC or TE 250. The weights look pretty comparable, but what of the bikes? Are they as good as they seem? Maintenance, parts, and grin factor? I have ridden the KTM RFS 250 and know that without the bore kit it's a weak contender. How do the Husky's measure up to say, the Yamaha, or Honda?

Cheers!

pict up a copy of this month's Motocross Action. They've a test.

There is also a current thread on this forum talking about Husky's 250.

Regardless of actual weight differences the Husky is slimmer then the KTM and feels lighter. I have spent 4 years on KTM before switching back to Husky (I go back to 1969 on Huskys). Husky suspension & steering are better, I think having had both all over the bench that Husky has better quality. Where KTM rises is they build about 6 times more units and that gives them a better oportunity to sort them out, the current TE seam to be well sorted with two snivels, the jetting needs help, same problem/cure as KTM, the JD kit and some concern about the valves on the Huskys, like the Jap bikes they are using Titanium and they are a bit delicate.

The KTM engine can run pretty good, my Son has 5 of the 250EXC in his off road tour business (there is your opportunity to ride two of them for a day), jetted right and reved up a bit they cover ground just fine. My fealing is the KTM is last decade tech, Husky is right at the cutting edge, just diapointed that they put Ti valves in it, A stainlees conversion kit will be available

Sorry Dave but I felt the opposite regarding the weight between the KTM525 and the TE510. The weights difference between both bikes is marginal but I think the KTM feels more nibble when riding. The Husky holds the weight a bit higher above the centre of gravity. This doesn't mean the KTM is better as they tend to be nervous at speed where the Husky is more stable. :)

I can add this. The three KTMs I rode this fall all had that low to ground center of gravity feel..I mean low like down at the pegs. I have riden the 04 and 05 WR450Fs and never experinced what the KTM guys like to say that the yamaha is top heavy...I dont see that. the 05 WRF is better weight wise then the 04 was as I remember the ride. the 05 was narrower and lighter it seemed by a touch.

HERE is my point: Forget top to bottom center of gravity for a minute. Think front to back. My Husky 05 TE-510 is more evenly distributed weight balnce front to back...its even steven. Both the KTM and the WRF weight distribution feels more like rope, block & tackle front to back, uneven , disturbed....The TE 510 weight front to back is fine tuned, connected, balanced......Clean........thats the husky differnence. IMHO.

I'm trying to decide between a 250TE & 250 CRFX. Like you I'm coming off a KTM.[520] I'm leaning toward the TE because of the valve problem Honda is having. Do you know if Husky is having the same? I heard Honda maybe had a poor grade of TI. Do you know how long Husky has been using Ti & thier mechanical history or direct me to someone whe does? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

do a search on valves in this forum, you see the husky 04s have a good history and people I know personally have had good sucess with the husky valve train while I know two people personally who have had their crf -250X bikes strap towed off the trails and one who has re built his valve train at 4 months into the bike........ that's no BS.... that is known experience.

Bike weights....huskys are light..... i dont know the 250 size comparison, but the TE-450 is 237lbs claimed dry weight..that is low. the 510 is 239....compare those with the WRF and 450X and ktm exc bikes and when others say Husky is full of it, then tell them bigbob owns an 05 TE-510....I tell you this bike is LIGHT.

iain,

you say the bike is for your wife. good on ya! :) if you know what she likes makes a big difference in the bike you choose the KTM has a lower seat height (albeight 1") and hard as nails. power is not as stong as the husky;the husqvarna has a softer seat and is far easier to work on. if you get a chance for her to see both bikes let her make the choice. i myself have both but definately prefer the husqvarna over the ktm . :)

do a search on valves in this forum, you see the husky 04s have a good history and people I know personally have had good sucess with the husky valve train while I know two people personally who have had their crf -250X bikes strap towed off the trails and one who has re built his valve train at 4 months into the bike........ that's no BS.... that is known experience.

Bike weights....huskys are light..... i dont know the 250 size comparison, but the TE-450 is 237lbs claimed dry weight..that is low. the 510 is 239....compare those with the WRF and 450X and ktm exc bikes and when others say Husky is full of it, then tell them bigbob owns an 05 TE-510....I tell you this bike is LIGHT.

OK Bob, Do us a favor and pull out your bathroom scale and weigh your 510 for us all with a full tank of gas. I am very curious what the '05 510 weighs. It is actually pretty damn accuarate adding up the two end weights.

Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!!

I also did a good bit of research and found the 250 Husky does not have better luck with valves than the Honda. I have ridden euro bikes all my life and wanted to like the Husky better but when I rode the Honda, I bought it. Not to say the Husky isn't good, it just isn't as easy to ride. For a young aggressive racer, the Husky would be good, but the Honda is better suspended and has better ergos for the average trail rider. The Husky has higher quality components but they apparently aren't able to spend the money that Honda does on R & D to dial it in. Getting back to valves, they both require the same amount of maintenance and are at risk of problems when ridden long and hard. Fred Hoess would attest to this if he could. You may hear of more Honda problems because there are a lot more out there.

2005 TE250 weighs 270 lbs, enduro ready with a full tank of gas. It is a lot heavier than my KDX I just sold.

The 91 KTM 300 EXC I use to own weighed 275 with a full tank of gas.

Jim

Mr. Flame or can I call you fireball or maybe sparky? :) :

Of the 5 or so recent bike mag articles on the new huskys, which I have personal copies of all of them, the Feb 05 DIRTBIKE test ride report on the 05 TE-510, titled "fast and furious" has become in my view, since I have owned and riden my bike, the most accurate review of the 510.

They have a fair balanced review that does a good job of explaining the bike's strenghts, giving the bike a positive good review as it deserves. That mag report says this about the 05 TE-510: " the total weight for the whole thing is reasonable about 262 lbs without fuel"

My dealer who is spot on everything he has told me, says the TE-450 is about 255 lbs with out gas.

These numbers are very competetive if not lower with the WRF, 450X and KTM EXC bikes. All three of those bikes start out with a higher dry claimed weight then the husky. I know this: My 510 is lighter then an 05 WR450F by a little bit. I rode mine and the wrf bacak to back. that bike starts at 244 lbs dry and my husky starts at 239. I rode both bikes with fuel on the trails, the husky wins.

Now regarding my bathroom scale.........Forget it sparks......I may be a TT addict, but I'm not running into the garage to report on My Bike. I own it :p my 2005 Husqvarna TE-510. the rest of you don't (yet) so go buy one of your own, then you can be at peace like me :D

on the valves. I will be checking and reporting on my valves regulary. we'll see what we will see. I know two TTers with 250x valve problems or what I would term "problems" in my view...like being strap towed off a trail. I know only happy Husky owners. :)

From the 05 owners manual:

Kerb weight, without fuel

(TC 250) ... ........................................lb 242.3

(TC 450) ... ....................................... lb 251.5

(TC 510) ... ....................................... lb 252.6

(TE 250) .. .........................................lb 249.8

(TE 450) .............................................. lb 259

Kerbweight, without fuel

(TE 510) ...... .................................... lb 260.1

Kerb weight, without fuel ................................

(SMR 400) ....................................... lb 266.7

Kerbweight, without fuel .................................

(SMR 450) ... .................................... lb 267.8

Kerb weight, without fuel ................................

(SMR 510) .... ...................................... lb 269

I have weighed my 05 TE510 with full fuel on some accurate scales and it came in at 125.3 kg (276 lb).

My 03 525 comes in at 121.4 kg (267.6 lb).

KTM wins the weight race but Huskies are still less tiring to ride.

Maybe we should be concentrating more at reducing rider weight? I know weight inspires momentum but gravity is still your enemy.

:)

I really agree with losing rider weight. If we spent half the time working on that as opposed to getting more power... from the bikes, we would be way ahead. I am just starting to work on about 10 extra pounds of pork gained in the past year myself.

I've recently ridden both the '05 Honda crf250 and the Husq TE250. The Honda is a blast as the weight is flyweight but the tranny stinks and the forks are too soft for my 200lbs. The Husky is a better desert bike with the 6th gear and stable at full tilt. The Husky took some bashing for two weekends to get things broken in and working smoothly, the Honda needs firming up and gearing up and probably more beans to pull the taller gears. The Husky is easier to work on. The Husky is an Enduro, so it is heavier but the lights and starter are nice for the non-motocrosser. So it depends on what kind of riding she does, short spins with no wide open expanses to cross makes the Honda a fun call. Last years Husky 250 can be had for probably 5k if you wave the cash and only needs the accelerator pump turned up and the exhaust opened up (screen insert). The Honda will need much more $ to buy and boost up in power, etc. Huskys tend to last longer, my 82 430xc has yet to require a bore and piston job, but i dont race. I never see an 82 Honda out riding i must say much less leading the pack with all their new japanese bikes. The little Husky also comes in well ahead of the others due to its extra gear and non-twitchy at speed handling. But she'll most likely pick the one with the color she prefers anyway, lol !!