Sign in to follow this  

Pull an enclosed trailer with a jeep wrangler?

For some reason I want a jeep wrangler. would it be possible to pull a small enclosed trailer with two bikes in it or are they to short making them squirly? Anybody done this? Help.

Thanx

I've pulled trailers with my old CJ5 which is smaller and narrower than the Wrangler. I've also pulled 6x12 double axle enclosed trailers with my Mitsubishi Montero which is about the same size as the Wrangler. Check the towing capacity to be sure though. :cry:

You CAN as long as you don't exceed the towing weight range.

What can get you in trouble is the ultra short wheel base that can get you whipping around on the road. With a motorcycle trailer it shouldn't be to much of a problem unless it's windy but the safest bet would to use hitch with sway control and even consider an inertia brake to help out the braking.

http://www.disneycampers.com/RV/Hitch%20Guide.htm

I pull a 6 x 12 enclosed single axle with my 01 Exploder 4.0. (my company car)

Let's just say in all the years of towing ,this is the worst vehicle for the job. While it gets the job done, that's about all I can say good about it. The exploder is affected by everything. Headwinds,tailwinds,crosswinds all move the trailer/truck combo around. Cars and 18 wheelers passing you on an interstate move you around. I can tell when I have a low rear tire (20 psi) on the exploder by the change in towing (above gets worse). I installed new, expensive shocks and the above only marginally improved. Don't even think about having a beer or 2 as you have to be on your game to tow straight. I'm pretty sure it would be worse in a wrangler as it's even shorter. I wouldn't tow anything longer than a 10' flat bed. An enclosed would certainly have wind effects that you woldn't like.

I'd say the wrangler would get the job done but you'd be glad when you got the rig home.

Thanks for the info guys. I was more afraid of the short wheel base than the tow capacity regarding drivability. I wonder if a CJ-7 would make much difference?

hey. i drive a jeep wrangler. i have a 10x 6 (maybe 12) i dont remember, but it hauls well. i havent had any problems, even with a sportsman 700 in the back in a big snowstorm. it isnt as good as my dads f250 but you should have no problems.

I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. I pulled plenty of boat and motorcycle trailers for years with a CJ5 with out a single problem. I also pulled a heavy fire department air supply trailer with it at some pretty ridiculous speeds without any trouble. A Wrangler is a pretty stout vehicle with a strong motor (the 4.0 at least). Our Cherokee with the same motor pulls our 20' inboard 4000 pound boat with no trouble at all.

Short wheelbase vehicles have never caused me any towing problems. Backing a short motorcycle trailer with a sort wheelbase vehicle is pretty interesting though.

Assuming you will be using a receiver hitch, make sure you get a dropped ball mount so the trailer rides fairly level. The higher the hitch rides, from a line between the differential and the trailer axle, the worse a trailer will act. There are a number of different mounts, single height, incrementally adjustable, and infinitely adjustable mounts available if you look.

Robert :)

I don't think that would be an enjoyable tow-job.

It seems that many people get tired of Wranglers within about a year.

If you have a soft top one, they suck if you do alot of highway driving.

The 4.0 six and automatic are a very good combination. That engine has tons of torque and is reliable as a hammer. The auto in our Cherokee has 100k miles with a lot of towing near max capacity without a problem. I personally prefer manuals, but both of our vehicles have automatics for towing the boat. I know Jeeps have a bad reliability reputation, but our Cherokee has been as reliable as any vehicle we have ever owned. And there is a lot to be said $50 tuneups.

Wranglers with the 4.0 auto combination are rated for 2,000 pounds max tow. That should be plenty for hauling a couple of bikes and gear. You shouldn't need to screw with trailer brakes at that little weight. If you spring for the Rubi or Unlimited the max tow goes up to 3,500 pounds because they have lower gear ratios. Look for a nice receiver hitch (I like Reese) and you will be fine towing a bike trailer.

If you want to get crazy towing find a cheap old Cherokee Sport and you can tow 5000 pounds.

I was thinking a 6 cyl auto with a hard top. :)

This is pretty much what we own. An 98 Jeep wrangler Sahara 4.0l softtop. I have pulled a older, heavy pop-up camper behind that and it pulls it fine. Were it got harry was going 70mph down the highway. Plenty of power to pull at that speed. Its just that the trailer would get wipping once in a while. Makes for a white knuckle ride.

Now my 6x8 flatbed trailer pulls great behind the jeep. I have a 5x8 enclosed also. I havent tried pulling it behind the jeep yet. But I imagine that it would pull fine. But it still may whip around a little at higher speeds. The jeep seems to have plenty of pulling power. Just not enough wheelbase at higher speeds to keep the trailer from trying to pass the jeep.

At this point you havent bought a jeep yet so why do it? If you know you are going to tow then buy a good tow rig, not something that will be maxed out at best. If you ever got into a wreck the CHP would most likely put you at fault for exceeding the vehicles capacity. I definately wouldnt load up my family in your possible set up. My 6x10 with 3 bikes and all gear is over 2k lbs.

The best setup for the enclosed trailer/Wrangler combo, is to put the Wrangler in the trailer and pull it with the bike :)

I have a 97 wrangler, 5 speed 4.0l I6. I pull a trailer with three full size bikes on it all the time, the full load is probably 1500 pounds. Most of the time its up in the adirondack mountains, so its not easy towing. But the wrangler manages pretty well, it has never let me down. The real issue is the short wheelbase gets squirrelly cornering and braking.

Take it easy around corners, lane changes, and braking, while towing and you will not be dissapointed in the wrangler at all. I say go for it theyre a great truck.

I happen to be selling the wrangler now, I sure will miss it