Sign in to follow this  

DJ Kit Just Ordered...One Question

Just ordered the Dynojet Kit for my '03 DR-Z400S.

Thanks to Kawidual's recommendation, I found it for $48.99 :cry:

The plan is to install, using Burned's FAQ sheet and the 3 x 3 mod. One questioned left unanswered is in regards to the OEM air filter. If it's still clean and in new condition, is it okay to leave the stocker in, or am I going to get more out of the jetting & airbox mod with an aftermarket filter?

Thanks in advance.

Will you be riding in dusty conditions or mainly street riding?

Check out the discusion in the thread for K&N filters. It pretty much covers the pros and cons of different ypes and brands.

Thanks Bronco.

95% + of the time it's being ridden on the tarmac, commuting between Santa Cruz and Sunnyvale, so filtration contaminants shouldn't be an issue.

The Sheetiron 300 Dualsport is coming up in a few months, so I should be thinking of filter performance. Do the aftermarket jobbies actually filter better than OEM ?

*I'll search the other applicable threads as suggested.

Thanks again :cry:

Do the aftermarket jobbies actually filter better than OEM ?

Ask 10 riders,,, you'll get 12 answers :cry:

The OEM built the bike as cheaply as it could, in accordance to it's mission statement for that model. As such,,, I'm no fan of the stock air cleaner. One two many times I've found dirt, past the cleaner. I use and trust the Twin Air filters. there are others that are just as good.. But as I can get these,,and I KNOW they work. I've not used others for some time now. The No-toil system is nice,, but those two allowed some dirt part the filter.. Could it have been user caused.. Yes,, but I don't think so,, so I switched to twin air and there oil.

I've ran stock airfilters on many bikes. They are probably the most protective of all with filtration. What I don't run is that biodegradeable filter oil (several types on the market are like this nowadys). Twin air is a good filter but doubt it's filtering over the stock as being better.

The DRZ filter the recommend is 11k replacement, depending on how it's taken care or subjected to it will go longer. When I did switch to twin air higher than recommended replacement, not a bit of detectable difference I could see.

But outside of the DRZ, every bike I've exclusively ridden offroad , the internal boot was checked for dust infiltrations.

NADA with stock units with quality filter oil.

I've ran stock airfilters on many bikes. They are probably the most protective of all with filtration.

um, ok :cry:

Twin air is a good filter but doubt it's filtering over the stock as being better.

Umm, ok :cry:

The DRZ filter the recommend is 11k replacement,

Don't believe every thing you read,, this is the same group that recommends not checking the valves until 15K, the same group that built a faulty cam chain tensioner 4 different times :cry:

Yeah! Santa Cruz huh? My hometown. Over summer I commuted to Scotts Valley everyday, loved every bit of it on my drz!

Thanks Bronco.

95% + of the time it's being ridden on the tarmac, commuting between Santa Cruz and Sunnyvale, so filtration contaminants shouldn't be an issue.

The Sheetiron 300 Dualsport is coming up in a few months, so I should be thinking of filter performance. Do the aftermarket jobbies actually filter better than OEM ?

*I'll search the other applicable threads as suggested.

Bronco,

My valves where checked well before 15k just as yours. However that highly carboned piston you pic'd well over a year ago and wondered how in the world you could have that much carbon build up in that time on a fairly new bike, we seemed to have avoided. Was it your jetting or fuel. I'll bet that was the same piston you showed recently as to proper breakin to the unknowing.

I'm sorry that tonoil stuff is boidegradable and your having issues sucking dirt.

Evidentally your delima isn't that unusual, I've seen others post the same thing elsewhere.

But Notoil or anything biodegradable, your bike and your money.

Does the DJ kit come with a 142.5 main jet? Is the main purpose for this kit the spring? I am doing the 3x3 mod right after i break in my new DRZ SM!! What other recomendations do you have? I have done a search and looked up a lot of info on this but I havent seen anyone just go out and buy the right individual jets? Always the DJ kit. Does this kit offer more than just a spring and jets??

Thanks for your help TT

The dealer better have my DRZ SM soon!!! :)

Burned ,

We highly reguard your expertise, although my harddrive was reformatted a couple months ago detroying all pics, in addition my upload cable of my camara is in storage somewhere in a box.

Having said that, I'd be surprised if you did not run biodegrades either. But you are already aware of the combos of being well tuned and the cleanliness of racefueled pistons crowns, valves and exhausts, you'ved stated so yourself and seen the results. I've posted the emaculate exhaust from my bike( absolute zero black soot and carbon) and It was seen by yourself and others with high milege and you NOTED this. Whats the likely hood spuds piston is carboned up like a charcoal grill?

Very Unlikely IMO,

But, until we get a mini camara to uplink and post, I think the jest of your post is to back off though.

So we will

i do not run bio degradeable air filter oil.no idea why you think i would... :)

if you think think the top of your piston is clean like your exhaust your dreaming.

the jest of my post was you have no idea what the top of your piston looks liek becuase you havent seen it.to try to compare it to any ones pics is just silly.

what even more silly is the way you sound with this newly aquired "second person".

your an intelligent guy.dont degrade yourself.

or maybe "we" is with the mouse in your pocket? :)

I thought the 142.5 is what u recomend for the 3 x 3 mod? Thats stock, so the main purpose of the DJ kit is the needle and spring? Thanks for your help. I can pull my XR 50 apart with my eyes closed but these carbs are a little more technical.

Thanks again

RIchie