YZ450F Preprinted Backgrounds

You have probably discussed this before and, if so, please direct me to the proper link or faq. How in the H-E-double L can I get the sidepanel backgrounds on without them looking like poop, or slitting them to lap over the slack? I put a million graphic kits, seat covers and backgrounds on more bikes than I can remember, but the YZ250/450F's have got me stumped! It's like trying to put a bandaid on a basketball! ?

The best way I have found is to wet the plate and background with water and dishwashing liquid. Apply the background in the general spot. Then take a blowdrier and heat the background as you push the water/soap out of the edges. Some use a credit card to squegee the water out. I just use my finger. The background will be perfect. If you have airbubbles, heat the specific area and push the air to the side.

Take your time! Wet the graphics and side panel with windex and apply some heat to them and slowly work out the bubbles. The trick I found out is to use some heat and they will go rather easy. The new backgrounds that decal works use are very easy to apply. They use a new 3m background and it's wrinkle free they claim. The ones I bought from them was very easy to install.

Decal works have a new material they use for their backgrounds that installs pretty nicely. I also purchased their installation kit. The new backgrounds are made of a very pliable material and their 3 step install kit (three different fluids for cleaning and surface prep along with a little squegee) helps also. I managed to get mine on with absolutely no wrinkles or bubbles whatsoever. Just took some patience!

I used a similar process as above, but put mine in the oven before I began the installation.

Turn the oven on low (never letting it get hotter than to the touch of hand), put the plastic to be covered, with the unpeeled graphic on top. Let it get warm and start to conform to the plastic.

Take out of the oven, peel back the sticker cover and spray both the sticky side and the plastic with windex (I know it sounds crazy to spray the glue side, but it works) postion the graphic as close as possible, move into place and begin removing excess fluid and air. You have plenty of time, but try to work quickly and remove excess fluid and air with squeegee and use a hair dryer to help.

VERY IMPORTANT pay close attention to the edges, they will want to peel up. Continue pressure and heat (hair dryer) I just used fingers and/or paper towel with more windex, which kept things clean and smooth.

Credit must be given to: TT’r DRStrangelove and others recently, This technique was used only after the reading a post by him and others and it surprisingly it worked great for me.

Good Luck

Decal works have a new material they use for their backgrounds that installs pretty nicely. I also purchased their installation kit. The new backgrounds are made of a very pliable material and their 3 step install kit (three different fluids for cleaning and surface prep along with a little squegee) helps also. I managed to get mine on with absolutely no wrinkles or bubbles whatsoever. Just took some patience!

The decal works material is awesome. I had no trouble installing mine.

Thanks! I do the soapy-squeegie routine already, just having fits with the F's rounded panels. Particularily the right side. Unfortunately I using my sponsor-provided graphics which are cool to look at, quality material. They just aren't real flexible! The right side is slit to start with, but still a hassle. I'll keep tryin'!

I used a similar process as above, but put mine in the oven before I began the installation.

Turn the oven on low (never letting it get hotter than to the touch of hand), put the plastic to be covered, with the unpeeled graphic on top. Let it get warm and start to conform to the plastic.

Take out of the oven, peel back the sticker cover and spray both the sticky side and the plastic with windex (I know it sounds crazy to spray the glue side, but it works) postion the graphic as close as possible, move into place and begin removing excess fluid and air. You have plenty of time, but try to work quickly and remove excess fluid and air with squeegee and use a hair dryer to help.

VERY IMPORTANT pay close attention to the edges, they will want to peel up. Continue pressure and heat (hair dryer) I just used fingers and/or paper towel with more windex, which kept things clean and smooth.

Credit must be given to: TT’r DRStrangelove and others recently, This technique was used only after the reading a post by him and others and it surprisingly it worked great for me.

Good Luck

Racerdad, nailed it right on the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take your time, Windex and a HAIRDRYER, I've been using this method since 92, works every time, done about 20 sets of Graphics and numbers......