Sign in to follow this  

to weld or to bolt

I'v ebeen eye balling a scott's steering damper for a long time and finally decided to take the plunge. I have one question. Should I go with the weld on, the bolt on to where the dipstick goes, or the bolt on that goes around the steering stem.

Does the weld on interfere with the dipstick? How about a tempurature guage?

Does any one have problems with the bolt on coming loose?

Thanks guys

The only reason I have not done the stabilizer is that I was told the post does get in the way of the dipstick removal. If they have the steering stem post, that sounds like a much better install.

have you looked at WER dampers, they have a different mounting system the damper is mounted over the front fender.

The last time i looked into a Scotts the mount clamped around the oil fill neck, even if the dipstick is hampered removal of the clamp takes a second.

To answer your question, it may be less prone to braking in crashes if it was clamped on rather than welded .

Is there a particular reason for the damper?

I ask this because i almost bought one , and after talking to a few riders who raced and used them , they had one point which i took rather seriously, i ride in rocks mostly and go fast enough as it is , putting a damper on prevents sudden deflections , so far this is great but your speed increases as well, this combination make for a major crash if you make a mistake, sooooo with that said i decided NOT to install a damper

stu

I just got mine from scotts. Talked to a verry helpfull guy there. They hooked me up with the "forward" mount setup. It uses a clamp around the head tube in front of the bars. Oil cap is still accessable. Puts the extra hardware out in front, out of the way. Way cool!!! I was told that this is the Team Honda setup. I would recomend this over the other setups. Very clean, full access to oil fill, moving parts out of the way. Overall, the fit and finish of all the parts are top notch, service was great, shipping was fast. If this thing functions on par with the service and quality, it should rock. I'll find out how it rides on Sunday. I can't wait.

The Scotts forward mount does not clear a stock XR's Only temperature dip stick. In order for it to work, I had the dip stick turned in a metal lathe , and had all of the flat faces removed. So now my temp guage is completely round. It's now harder to remove, but it still provides the temp info I want.

Regards.

Dale

Just curious, but why do you need a dampner for a XR ? What exactally are the advantages?

Thanks for the replies.

Stu, I'm REALLY slow so getting a little faster is not a bad thing for me.

DW2, that was what I wanted to know. I run a temp dip stick and would like to keep it on along with the Scotts.

The reason I chose scott's is because it seems dead reliable, adjustable on the fly, and they a are located 5 minutes from my house. I go there all the time for other stuff and the people there are really cool.

Kemp, a damper is like a shock absorber for your bars from going side to side. I ride a lot of rocks and sand washes. When you hit a rock, the bars get jerked side ways, sometimes hard enough to rip if from your hands and loosing control. The stabilizer keeps it from deflecting. It dampes the shock of the bars and keeps the bike tracking straight. It also completely elimitates headshake when you're flying down sand washes.