Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha "01" Suspension Oil?

What weight is the Yamaha 01 suspension oil supposed to be? A friend & I have compared a new can of it to a new bottle of RaceTech Ultra-Slick US-1, which is suppose to be a 2.5/5wt according to the label, and the Yamaha oil is noticeably thinner. Is the Yamaha "01" really a 1 wt. oil?!?

A curious Catfish in Concord ...

It's actually 7.5. That is straight from Yamaha.

Well, I have had one Yamaha service manager claim 5-10 wt, and I have had another claim its "0" wt. Neither could produce a Yamaha document verifying either claim. My amateur flow & viscosity testing tells me its WAY thinner than the 2.5 wt RaceTech US-1 that I have been using in my WR450F forks.

Do you have anything actually written by Yamaha that states this 7.5 wt? Can you scan it to a jpeg or have a pdf file that you can share as proof?

Just trying to find out the truth. I've asked three *experts* now & have gotten three different answers!

Catfish ...

I'll see if I can get anything. Yamaha doesn't supply any information on this. It's their "secret." The dealership up by us ran had a test done to see what it was. I'll see if they have a print out I can get a copy of. These guys are pretty straight shooters, I have no reason to doubt them.

Just came back from my Yamaha/Honda dealer,and he never heard of the 01fork oil I asked for,he told me to use the Honda HP fork oil5w,will this be O.K??

Just found in the F.A.Q section,by Mark Cantrell.With outer tube fully collapsed (fork is as short as it will get), fill with oil. Stock is '01' which is similar to 5wt.

So I guess the Honda 5wt would be o.k

Just came back from my Yamaha/Honda dealer,and he never heard of the 01fork oil I asked for,he told me to use the Honda HP fork oil5w,will this be O.K??

If your dealer says he's never heard of "Yamaha 01" fork oil, I would seriously consider finding a new dealer, or at least never let him touch one of your bikes. Pro Circuit is the same as Yamaha 01 and you can get it right here in the Thumpertalk store for $14.36, much cheaper then the Yamaha stuff.

can anybody tell me how much oil should be in the forks???i have just bought a 2004 wr250f and wen i got it home found both fork seals to be leaking it is a us import bike and i have no owners manual for it. i asked a local yam dealer but all he would tell me wos to put 7.5wt oil in