Sign in to follow this  

04 upgrade vs. new 05

Hey guys, got my 04 CRF450 new and immediately trashed a knee. Been off 8 months and now the 05 is out with great reviews. Planned on a suspension rebuild, pipe and some other goodies, spending about $1500, maybe more. I am a Vet B 200 pounder and am wondering if maybe that $1500 could be better spent upgrading to the newer bike. Probably spend some jack on the new one too but I would like to know from you guys who have raced them both if the 05 would be a better starting place. Most people say put in a heavier fork spring and the 05 CRF450 will be the best bike I have ever ridden? The 04 has about 5 hours and the only complaints I remember were a push in flat corners and harshness on braking bumps and slapdown landings. I race mostly big jump outdoor tracks and 1-2 little SX tracks that run on Sat. nite. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

You've almost talked yourself into the correct choice. The '04 was/is a fantastic bike, but the '05, with a slimmer frame and the usually little changes that add up to a noticeable change, is even better. You can sell an '04 for anywhere from $4,700 to $5,200, depending on the local supply, and you can have a '05 shipped to your house for around $6,100.

The '05 doesn't need much to be competitive. You can ride it (preparing to get flamed) STOCK!