Sign in to follow this  

What handguards? revisited

Ok, I ordered the Cycra Probends with the side mounts. What size drill bit do I need to deill out the bars?

Thanks,

Ken

I'm doing mine tonight. Found out last night 1/2" drill bit is too small........9/16" is needed maybe could get away witha 17/32s if you have that bit........trouble with 9/16 is thats a hard bit to find with a 3/8" shank which is most homeowner drill chuck size.

had to borrow a friend's large chuck drill.

NOW take my advice and go for the Cycra SMALL blue plastic.......It looks awesome on the husky with the angles of the TE headlight plastic and all.......the small blue Cycra plastic is very much is apart of the sharp Italian look of the new huskys...and my point is who needs those huge elephant ears anyways..I don't ride in the bushes. I ride between the branches and brush. I ride on the TRAIL.

the small Cycras give all the hand protection I need and its the Cycra pro bend bar that counts for crash protection not the plastic. GO BLUE and GO small. :)

I can see the style side of it, but back east in the ignorant tight stuff, bushwacking past the mudholes and bottlenecks, and don't forget the cold, those big goofy "elephant ears" work great. Go ride that Big Wolf and report to the faithful and those yet to be convinced. Is that Suzuki in the Swap Sheet yet?

Norman

35/64 ths is what I bought, it works, maybe a touch too big. I'd go 17/32. 9/16 is getting big. You will need a longer bolts by about 20mm also. Just make sure you get started straight drilling into the bars. It's easy to get off center. Brace the bars into a shelf or something so they don't move around and be careful, a 1/2" drill will bust your arm when it gets caught up. I guarantee you will get it caught. Go with lower RPM's.

I also second the elephant ears. The small ones do not give you enough protection. Bob will learn the hard way when he runs through a patch of Choya cactus. He'll look cool for all the girly mens though.

I know a company that is coming out with a sano new hand guard system soon and am sure they will have a fitment for the Husky wink wink. Might have some sort of damper mount and stuff too. :)

35/64 ths is what I bought, it works, maybe a touch too big. I'd go 17/32. 9/16 is getting big. You will need a longer bolts by about 20mm also. Just make sure you get started straight drilling into the bars. It's easy to get off center. Brace the bars into a shelf or something so they don't move around and be careful, a 1/2" drill will bust your arm when it gets caught up. I guarantee you will get it caught. Go with lower RPM's.

I also second the elephant ears. The small ones do not give you enough protection. Bob will learn the hard way when he runs through a patch of Choya cactus. He'll look cool for all the girly mens though.

What are the longer bolts for?

jb

Mine are installed..we used a 17/32" drill. Have a friend hold the bars and bike. That is some heavy and slow careful drilling you need doing. We measured the depth we wanted and wraped some black tape around the drill bit to go to the right depth. used all the standard Cycra hardware and bolts

I went with the cycra bar mounts not the triple clamp mounts only because I was so cornfused before and my dealer didn't help me order a T clamp mount...but no big deal, the Cycra bar mount is actually well engineered with a nice swivel action to line up the bar bolt at 90 degrees..not like that crappy Acerbis rally II crap...now those are pretty boy junk.

as for the rest of you bush whackers, go ahead keep your old floppy dog ears. :)

I Is that Suzuki in the Swap Sheet yet?

Norman

If I ditch the DRZ, what would my second bike be?......I'm too big to have much use of the CR 125 people are talking about.

I dont want no yamaha except the yz250 would be a good match.

Don't want no Honda,,,,maybe a KX 250 or an RM 250?

KTM enduro 2 stroke ------- the 250 size?

Gas gas enduro 2 stroke.......

an RMZ 450.............Hmmmmmmm now were talking.

gosh see I'm burned out on new bike talk...the DRZ stays put for a few months let me mull it over.....let time do it's number on me, but yes I do know this: I really don't care for dual sporting. Pavement is a waste of good rubber.

Bob,

Still talking about Jap bikes, form your own wolf pack! Are you playing with us or have you not been truly assimilated into the collective? Since you adapted to big bore land so well, the obvious answer is a... Husky WR360!

Norman

What are the longer bolts for?

jb

The side tripple clamp mount is about 20mm thick. Hence you need M8 x 20mm longer bolts. You can get them at Ace hardware. You won't find flange head bolts there though, just put a lock washer on 'em and you will be good to go. Be careful when you torque the bolts though. Look at the torque values in the book. It would be prety easy to strip out the aluminum. I use a 1/4 drive and put about 8 ft lbs max on 'em.