Sign in to follow this  

05 TE-510 Break in Ride report

Who I am:

I'm a 6'5" 260lb 50 yr old average "C" regular weekend trail and woods rider and occasional MX poser (rarely). I ride in NorCal single track woods, some Nevada desert and lots of California open play single / double track areas too. I have been riding now 16 months. I ride every weekend. I'm coming off my 03 DR-Z400S which I have sprung for my weight and quite a few improvement mods on that bike, including some power mods like a Yosh exhaust.

The 510 break in ride: about 30 minutes in open play, hard ground, type trail riding. My comments from my admittedly newbie point of view:

The Bike is Ultra Light. Any honda/ktm/yamaha posters who say the 239lbs Dry Claimed weight on Husky's web site is bull, well let me tell you those guys are FULL OF IT. THIS BIKE is LIGHT. and centered low-mid range, not as ground sucking low as the KTMs but lower and more even then the Yamaha WRF.

the 510 is FAST...did I say fast. I mean Holy Batman FASSSSTTTTTTT. The first 1/8th to maybe 3/16th of the throttle is great, then dare to roll that throttle just into the beginning of the meat and this Husky becomes a Ferrari. Man look out it's Happy time.

Suspension is set up Stiff......the bike felt better on the MX track. The bike has me out classed as a rider. The TE-510 could do triples in it's sleep. I will definitely have a shop re-do the suspension for me and serious trail, woods riding with sections of rocky, ruts and roots ..that bike would not float and dance up a rocky trail as it is set up stock.

The seat was slippery at first, plus I had new ride pants on too. I definitely will want to raise the bars as I am tall and standing could use some more height, but they are not bad at all stock and in the forward posistion. I love the feel and bend of the stock bars. I will want a Stabilizer because this bike is wicked FAST....did I say that alleady?.......Fast n Furious! :)

I got used to the kick stand..but would like to modify it so it doesn't jump up so easy per Flame's mod. The Motor and tranny gearing is perfect in my view, the stock sprockets are just right......the controls are good.......I will raise the forks a notch in the clamps as they came all the way extended.

Jumps: the bike FLYS. I can't wait till I start to feel fully a part of this bike. It is new to me..but I jumped it ever so small on the MX track and was AMAZED at how It can FLY...this Wolf has wings. It felt like I was a teenager jumpin a 125......I held back but I look forward to taking flight again.

ok that's all I have for now. Time to go change that factory oil, filter and clean the screens. YES THE BIKE IS AWESOME and wicked fast. POWER, Speed and grace......well more GRACE after I do the suspension for me.

how was the power compared to the wr450 you rode not too long ago?

the TE-510 power was definitely more manageable down low then the WRF. I never ran the WRF. I was more cautious as it wasn't my bike. so I can't compare the bikes much beyound 3rd gear......also the WRF only has 5 gears.. :)

The Husky is smoother power delivery then the WRF..the WRF is more torquey

THE WRF is a Potato Chopper...the Husky is a Cucumber slicer.

I attribute this to the larger bore/ shorter stroke design of the Husky.

MorningRider, sounds like you need a GPR version 2 dampner. It will raise the bars up with the mounting and you can keep the stock bars because you like the bend. Hope this helps.

MorningRider, you can fix the kick stand easy.

The stock setup sucks unless you like dropping your bike. The spring hits the bolt causing this Auto-fold action.

Cut off the nut portion of the bolt flush with the part of the bolt that widens, as the wide part keeps the kickstand on. Now cut in a slot like a flat blade screw driver in the top, check it with a screwdriver to see it fits. Now file off any burs paint and re-install with a screwdriver and must locktite. Will now work like a real kick stand!