Sign in to follow this  

'00 400E not charging - stator testing?

Hello again, weird ordeal last night with TT.

When I check the stator's output voltage, it should be atleast 40 VAC, still connected to the regulator? Not disconnected right? With it running, mine puts out 4.5 VAC.

My bike won't run with the three yellow wires disconnected... Seems to me it should, because the ignition has it's own windings? Correct or not?

The three resistances between the yellow wires on mine are 1.4 ohms, is this good? No shorts to ground either.

Thanks!

I plan on doing a write up and webpage when I finish with this problem that should encompass diagnosing the charging system.

you do the stator test with it disconnected from the reg rect.

if the bike will not run with it uplugged you have other issues.

did this all start right after you did the ds kit?

Bike will not run with three yellow wires unplugged from rect/reg.

What does this point to?

This started after I started blowing fuses when my taillight shorted out, then the bike sat for a month with the lights on, and ever since I haven't been able to get it to charge the battery back up.

1.02 V on the battery, when disconnected... I figgered the bike would charge it back up??

not if the stator is bad.

sounds like that not only the ac part of the stator bad but also the source coil is weak.

charge the battery with a battery charger and retest.

The bike will run with the stator wires disconnected if you have a good battery properly connected. You did not read my earlier post about having the stator disconnected to test.

If your bike sat for a month with the lights on you definitely need a battery. Start with that, then move on to stator testing.

If the bike will run with a dead battery that is evidence your charging system is working. If the battery is dead and you disconnect the yellow stator wires, you are not powering the CDI, so not running would be expected.

Check the 3 wire (yellow Wires) harness that plugs the stator and regulator/rectifier together. Look at the harness closely! I'll bet you will find cooked terminals. We had two bikes do this in our group of 13 DRZ400's.

Charge your battery fully before you do anything.

Dave Kessler

Hey guys, I charged up the battery, and now the bike is operating normally.

Thanks for the help. Thankfully that's all it was... I was thinking the bike would charge the battery, even if it was dead??

BTW I used a plug in wall transformer that I had laying around as a charger. Output was 13 Volts, 0.8 amps. It took 5 hours to get up to 12 Volts on the battery. Not the best/healthiest method for the battery, but it worked.

Rectified I assume. Can't charge a battery with AC. A rectified (half wave or full wave) transformer is fine. My charger is made from a filament transformer. Remember tubes?

Glad you got it going. What do you see for voltage at the battery now with the motor running? 13.5 - 14 Vdc?

4 volts was stator connected working aginst a dead battery as I recall.

did you ever do the stator test with it unplugged?

it only had 4 volts as i remember........ :)

It's got 40 volts now, I'm stoked.

That 4 volts was when it was still connected, cuz it wouldn't run disconnected. I suppose the high draw of the dead battery brought down the voltage? Then again it refused to charge the battery even after 1 hour runs.