Sign in to follow this  

Dean

Does anyone know what the setting for the slow jet screw on a 04 CRF 250 X

is. I took my carb off to clean it and now it won' t idle. It will run with the choke on and when you :) turn the choke off it stalls.

Did you take the slide out?

You may have #14 in upside down. The hole goes down.

Your fuel screw should be about 2 turns out.

I was thinking the same thing...since I did it once....

:)

I didn't take the slide out. I counted the turns on the screw when I took it apart which was two but it still didn't work. I can't figure out what I did wrong but I obviously did something wrong. It runs good when the choke is on which is a high idle but when you turn the choke off, if you don't keep the revs up it will stall. If I turn the idle screw up it still quits if I turn the idle about where It should be.

Make sure you put the pilot/slow jet back in properly.

Sounds to me if it won't idle then it's running a little rich,

although the choke thing has me stumped. Once you're

sure about installing the slow jet properly, turn the fuel screw in

and see if the RPMs increase.

I didn't take the slide out. I counted the turns on the screw when I took it apart which was two but it still didn't work. I can't figure out what I did wrong but I obviously did something wrong. It runs good when the choke is on which is a high idle but when you turn the choke off, if you don't keep the revs up it will stall. If I turn the idle screw up it still quits if I turn the idle about where It should be.

Might be a vacuum leak between carb and engine. If you have any starter fluid, squirt some around the carb-to-engine connection (while running) and see if the engine speed changes.

Thanks for the help everyone but it still stalls when I push in the choke. It doesn't miss, it runs smooth until I push in the choke . It runs fine but at high idle with the choke on. I took it apart again and you know what a pain that is, and I couldn't see anything wrong. I've tried everything that this thread recommended and I still can't figure out what's wrong. I"ve got a new "expensive" plug in there, but old gas with gas stablizer. Could that be the problem. That wouldn't be too hard to fix.

It could be that the old gas has plugges a jet and that it is soo lean it needs the extra fuel from the choke to run. But somehow it is lean.. It can not be rich!!!!!!! I repeat it can not be rich!!! The choke RICHENS the mixture. So if it was rich the choke would make it worse. I would make sure the "boot" is on correctly to make sure no air is entering after the carb.

Thanks everyone who replied, I think I found the problem. The tiny wire that holds the needle and seat on to the float was missing. I didn't notice that it fell out. Now i'ts lost in my garage somewhere. I don't think the bike can run very well without it. I put it back together after I noticed it ( without the wire ) and it works the same as when I started to have the trouble so I think that would do it. I can hardly wait until the parts come in so I can try it.