Sign in to follow this  

Water pump leak?

any of you guys with the '02 CRF450 have any water pump leaks (from the little hole under the housing) how hard is it to fix, and will i have to pull the complete cover off of the right side or can i replace the seal by pulling only the impeller off?

thanks

Actually it's pretty easy to fix. Get the outer water pump seal and water pump cover gasket. Open it up and take the impeller shaft off and replace the seal right behind where you took the impeller off. Put back on the impeller then replace the gasket and put back together. Use a coolant for motorcycles and you are good to go.

Tony

You can replace the water seal without removing the case cover: drain coolant, remove impeller cover, remove impeller (may help to have someone stand on the rear brake to stop the engine turning while trying to remove impeller). Pry out the water seal then insert the new one.

If your water seal fails regularly it's a sign that your balancer bearing is loose in its seat (the impeller shaft connects into the balancer bearing and if the bearing it loose it introduces a wobble into the impeller shaft which in turn destroys the water seal (but not the oil seal :) )

To fix THAT you need to remove the case cover, the balancer, the bearing underneath then figure out how to stop the bearing from wobbling (I peen the bearing seat, which tends to make it "stick" more firmly at least for 9-10 hours).

This is the single biggest and most frequent problem I have with my engine!

I too have the re acuring water pump leak, replaced the seal many times only to have it leak agian in 5 hrs or so... I have heard that replacing the bearing works but what your saying is that doing so may not be the fix.

I notice mine only leaks about a cup or 2 in a long 2 plus hour hs race so i havent been too woried about it, hasnt seemed to get much worse eithor.

Other experiences or opinions on this?

Tin

I replaced everything but the impeller itself, Oil seal, water seal, shaft, bearing... No problems so far after maybe 15 hours.

If you've got the coolant drained and the water seal out, you've already done half the work, might as well take off the side cover (order a new side cover gasket) and do the rest, removing the impeller itself is the hardest part of the whole job.

Do the whole thing and don't worry about it again. 36 min job (incl beer drinking time)

Ditto for that, I changed both seals and the shaft and impeller bearing at the same time, do it once do it right. About 8 rides (20hrs) and not a drop lost!